The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Water Or Rock Pipit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Water Or Rock Pipit Reply with quote

I have attached two photos taken on the Yorkshire coast on the 04/04/18 any help please

Snowy
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a smashing photo Snowy but I'm not an expert on birds outside my garden but it is definitely a Pipit but which one not sure. The only Pipit I am familiar with is the Meadow, not heard of Water or Rock I'm afraid.
I think you need someone 'more in the know' but just wanted to post as no one had replied to you.
Have you managed to identify it since your post?

Kathy
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re Water or Rock Pipit Reply with quote

Hi Kathy, I was beginning to think there was no one else out there. Thanks for the post it gives me hope that I am not here all alone on this forum & yes it's sorted now it's a Rock Pipit. My best bird was a lifer Purple Sandpiper, there were two one was ringed UJ3, I reported this to the BTO & this bird was ringed by Kjell Mork Soot on Spitzberge which is to the right of Greenland on the Artic Circle, That's amazing when you think this bird is only between 19 & 22 cm in length.

Cheers Snowy.

Last edited by Snowy on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowy I'm sorry you felt left out. But pleased you found the correct bird, I have learned something from you today.
Unfortunately this forum is really about garden birds and while people read your posts if they don't have an answer it is often ignored. It would be nice if they would just drop a line back even if it's a negative one!
You are an excellent photographer and finding this bird so far from home is nothing short of incredible. It has always fascinated me how such a small bird can cross the miles in sometimes very bad weather & survive. Nature is so wonderful. It just goes to show how important ringing birds is.

If you can get a good picture of a bird in your garden it could be included in our calendar for 2019. It raises money for the BTO & RSPB and the more members that buy one the better -although submitting a photo does not mean you have to buy one! Very Happy
Keep them coming anyway I shall be watching!
Kathy
sammi

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Snowy
I've just seen your posts. This time of year there are so many posts about bird boxes that it's hard to keep up with the other topics Very Happy Love the story about the purple sandpiper. Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: