The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Paul's Boxes 2018 [3 Roosters So Far]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Paul's Boxes 2018 [3 Roosters So Far] Reply with quote

Well, I have decided to open my own thread for the year today since my sparrows have been bringing in a decent amount of straw.

Its 3c today here in Liverpool (Sounds cold but to the -5 we have been having as a daytime its not haha) snow gone ice gone back to normal.

I have been getting countless visits to all my boxes by blue tits, I still have all 4 roosters 2 of them keeping the box very clean (females) looks like another busy season could be ahead for me fingers crossed Banana!

Had some fights in my boxes too I have posted videos on twitter and things so if any of you are interested in seeing that or posts I havent put on here my twitter is - https://twitter.com/wildlifepaul

Anywhere here is some pictures from the sparrow box because these are my first for material this year and giving the most action to talk about.

Female Sparrow (I'm Back Again)
Female Sparrow (I'm Back Again)
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 17 Time(s)

Male & Female Sparrow
Male & Female Sparrow
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 11 Time(s)

Nest Building So Far
Nest Building So Far
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 11 Time(s)

Wishing you ALL a successful season, Hoping and praying GBH gets her first nest and Sue gets her first camera box nest Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Good luck everyone Very Happy

Last edited by WildlifePaul on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Paul!!! That's really great. And thanks for the mention!

Your boxes are truly amazing with all those visits already, even in the cold. I am green with envy!!!!

But, as luck would have it, I did have a little bit of interest in the last hour...a landing and a lot of pecking and high pitched chirping at the entrance, and making a big racket. Not sure what it was but, it may have been a sparrow. My entrance hole is 28mm I think? So the sparrow won't fit maybe?

Anyway, no entry as yet, but this is the first real bit of interest since last Novembers rooster.

I don't dare to even hope. Nail biting

hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Paul, Spring is here now and nesting has begun (at least in Liverpool) keep us posted Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you GBH & Helen.

Still have my female blue tit who brought material in one my side boxes in November she is still roosting, No more material added though still keeping the box clean however.

Picture of her from back in November.

Nest Material 19th November 2017
Nest Material 19th November 2017
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 23 Time(s)

Hopefully with all the temps rising next week the birds should get on with house hunting more.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went in the garden to put something in the bin, My sparrows was outside the box mating Surprised sex scenes on the gutter not a care in the world. Laughing Laughing alot of straw getting brought into the box today looks like I know what is producing my first egg this year. Roll on the floor laughing
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, great to see the action starting for you (bit up close and personal lol). Very envious of the amount of interest you get, but pleased for you at the same time. I have had a regular pair of blue tits for about six weeks now. They are very interested in what I call my tree box (one that was used last year but have popped it over the wall so is visible to me without having to sit right in front of it. Have had to build a shelter over it as in wrong direction really, but birds seem happy with it - in and out every day). Unfortunately camera box not so lucky at moment. Did have a few visits earlier in the year and even a quick nest shuffle, but nothing that I have seen for about a month now. I feel that box is a bit close to our lounge window - being a bungalow it is difficult to find a position that is a good distance from things, and hubby won't have wires that are visible Evil or Very Mad . If no luck this year am thinking of moving it just about a foot further away from window but other side of a downpipe so that may afford it a bit more privacy as far as the birds are concerned. Not moving it and upsetting things this close to nesting season though, just wish I had thought earlier Brick wall
Thanks for thinking of me in your good luck wishes. I hope you have as a good a year as last and keep us all entertained with your wonderful posts and pictures.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
You know if I could bottle the interest up and send it I'd share Hug

You should move your box Sue, If you've had no interest or visits for a month there is nothing you are upsetting.

My boxes are right next to a few of my windows, And get used regular we are talking cm's away any closer they would be on the window itself Laughing, But these are bedroom windows so I imagine the lounge to be way more active so could cause abit fright to them.

If I was you I would move it while the season is very early, But I know what you are like during the season so its totally up to you.

I'm looking forward to your updates and pictures, They get better each season!

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, I'll see if I can persuade hubby to do some quick drilling and shifting ha ha.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all XXX rated at your Paul...thats hilarious!! Love
xxMariaxx

wales.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lovely... Looks like a busy year for you again Paul... Looking forward to the updates one of my favorite topics is view is yours.. Dancing
Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good already, Paul. Always rely on you to keep me happy when the birds desert me Smile
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed he agrees Sue Laughing && HAHAHA yes GBH was xrated on that gutter Roll on the floor laughing Roll on the floor laughing

Thank you Maria & Gina, I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I love posting on here in Spring and seeing everyone elses posts.

My sparrow nest is coming along nicely now, Little picture below and small video of the male playing around with the nest material this morning.

Video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnYoAxdwCrU

Sparrow Nest 7/3/2018
Sparrow Nest 7/3/2018
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 13 Time(s)

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Seem that it's all GO at yours already, those Sparrows are very 'open' in their relationship perhaps a pair of hippies from the 60's!!!! Nahh don't think they live quite that long!

All the best I too am watching!!!! Little bits of debris as we know is a tell tale sign.
Kathy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kathy, I'm looking forward to all your updates and pictures.

The sparrows are getting things going that is for sure, Blue tits aren't as active in my garden yet well very active on feeders around 12 of them just not too active in the boxs. Getting daily visits and still have all roosters and things but maybe too early for them to get going in my area just yet.

Noticed a Robin is building its nest by the pond in the garden today its been taking leaves into a thick bush at back of the pond, Going to try my best to get a camera on it in a few weeks. Don't want to go poking around just yet and scare them during building.

Can't wait for the blue tits to get going now, Shouldn't be too long away.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few pictures and video update on the sparrow, Nest is coming along nicely. Its going turn cold over next few days though starting friday so am guessing will put a stop to things for a week or so.

VIDEO HERE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZLu7eceX8

Pictures

Male Sparrow
Male Sparrow
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 15 Time(s)

Female Sparrow
Female Sparrow
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 10 Time(s)

Male and Female Sparrow Together
Male and Female Sparrow Together
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 12 Time(s)

I'm happy these are becoming a regular nester for me, Using the same box each year. Not as colourful as the blue tit but they are alot more interesting how the male and female work together nest building and both share sitting on the eggs its a real team effort from start to finish hoping I get 2 of 3 nests out of them this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: