The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Blue Tits camping outside box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Blue Tits camping outside box Reply with quote

I have had a pair of Blue Tits going in & out of my cam box since December & go in & out everyday. They seem to have picked my box. The only thing is, is that this year I have failed to clear the box of last years nesting material. This will be the first time I havnt cleared it because of a foot injury. Has anybody else had birds nest in their box with old nest still in place? Thank you.
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 12thman

I don't know of any member on here who has experienced this but in the wild it would be quite normal for them to build a new nest on top of an old one or perhaps use the old one if still in decent repair, so I don't see why boxes should be any different!
As the nest is so tightly woven I think it unlikely they will try to remove it via the hole in tiny pieces, so instead the female might bring in fresh moss etc to freshen it up as it were.
I could be quite wrong of course so maybe it would be a good idea to keep watch and see what happens, we love to know if they do! Think

Do you have a kindly neighbour who might be able to remove the old nest for you while you are incapacitated?

Good luck for the season - keep us posted if you see anything worth noting.

Kathy
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, they seem to be keen, they are here again. I have asked around, & a few people have told me that they never touch their boxes but birds nest in them every year, so fingers crossed? I’m almosr too worried to touch it now as this maybe why they like it? 😮😮
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm tricky to say 12thman, It depends on the bird. She will remove that nest bit by bit if she does choose to nest their though so alot of work for the female as she will remove it bit by bit through the hole think kathy briefly pointed this out.

The closest I have had to this happen is a female in 2015, I had a blue tit nest building from march then disappeared for a week didn't see her during this time a male brought a female to the box around 20 times a day she was removing bits of material each time nest wriggling but I think she give up cause removing the material was just too much hardwork for her but luckily 3 days later the original female showed up and carried on.

Then on the other hand a neighbour as a box under there eve that got nested in 2 years on the run a few years back didn't get cleaned but I watched the female remove everything before nest building to start a fresh.

You need to note that the blue tit is a very clean bird always keeping her nest and box clean she isn't going to want to build on top of a mite filled nest so it will go two ways for you she likes the box and will remove everything and bring her own stuff in or she will attempt to move everything and give up if there is more nest holes in area that require less effort.

So I would say its more 50/50 also worth noting during the start of the breeding season its the male blue tit that brings the female to the box all the time, I have had boxes that get visited uncountable numbers a day in January then it leads to nothing by march they choose a completely different box it is the females choice what box she wants or nest site and the male will show her all the sites hes got to offer in his area he controls.

Sorry for all the info haha its just what I have came across over the years. Good luck with the new season because these little birds keep you on your toes that is for sure!

xxMariaxx

wales.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Paul here... My darling mother didn't clean her box out last year... Plenty of interest and moving old moss but no takers for the first time in 5 years.. Her box is clean this season.. Thumbs up
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I may try and attempt to clear it tomorrow?
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Its still so early in season so cleaning it out be totally fine. Its really up to you what you do.
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/932157756836403
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve managed to clean it out now at last.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pleased you've managed to clear the box. Will add that Kate Humble says she never clears her boxes and leaves them to nature. Also my dear Mum years ago ( whilst suffering from dementia ) said she had seen blue tits in her very old disgusting bird box. I thought she was making it up, but watched and took photos of the pair bringing out material and taking fresh in (wasn't a box you could open without taking it apart). This pair went on to have 5 healthy looking chicks. However, I agree with everyone on here that better to have clean box to give the best start to any little family. Good luck and hope you have a successful nesting.
Sue
12thman

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Blue Tits we’re back in this morning, probably wondered where the nest had gone? Yes it’s best to clean out as I usually do as it’s usually covered in bird poo etc. I had 11 eggs laid last year of 10 chicks hatched. Both parents feeding but only one fledged, very sad to watch. 😞
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it cleaned out, All the best for the coming weeks / spring. Look forward to seeing any updates! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: