The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Merry Xmas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to spring, All daytime visits have started in my boxes currently have the female and male sparrow back checking out the sparrow box thats been used the last 2 years so fingers cross they give me another nest or 2 this year along with the blue tits.

Kathy, I'll try my best. I can't promise I'll remember to do it every month though Laughing but god loves a trier! Razz

Good luck and wishes for you all for your boxes only a few weeks now be serious visits happen and nest building etc time flys Very Happy

P.s only just noticed your question Sue, No nothing at all special about this month for me. I only asked Kathy to try have my pics for the month of May because its mine and my mums birthday.

Gina1948

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone and Happy New Year Very Happy . I missed the end of last season on here so thought I'd just pop back to see how things are going. It's good to see all the familiar names still around. We were so lucky last week to have two goldcrests flitting around in the garden, they move so quickly, and are so small, we considered it a bonus when they eventually decided to have a short pause on the pergola next door to allow us to take good look at them. We have a great tit roosting in one of the three boxes, thought it was a female at first as the box stayed clean but there is a little mess now so not sure. Not seen much in the way of visits to the boxes but I've never seen so many bluetits and great tits on the feeders, surely they can't all choose homes elsewhere?? It's still very early though. Fingers crossed for a great season for everyone Fingers crossed

Gina
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year Gina, Still very early yet so I wouldn't worry. My boxes have been getting the odd daily visits but its not loads of visits a day or nothing yet and that is with my garden having around 10 or more blue tits daily on feeders.

My boxes normally pick up visit wise during last week of January / first week February. wishing you all the luck for spring hope you get a nest along with everyone else on here. Fingers crossed

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina
Nice to see you back. Good luck with your birds this spring. My GT & BT have roosted since September so hoping for big things, but boxes are very messy now!
Had a pair of BT's go into the GT box during the day yesterday and the female took some poo out when she left but if it comes to a head in Spring then I think the GT will win hands down. However, it's all very similar to you & Paul. I can only surmise that some are keener than others to get going!!

Kathy
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Thanks for the info Paul & Kathy bout height, my ‘moved box’ is at a height of about 5’10 ish! But my new one is about 1 or 2 foot higher, so I guess that’s borderline for the moved one. I’ve decided to see how new box goes before making a decision to put an overhead camera in. I have got a small problem though with new box, it seems to be leaking down the back panel, during the day I can see the water stains on the wood, so don’t actually know what to do about it. Hubby wants to seal all the way around the back panel but I’ve made him wait to see if anyone has any suggestions other than sealant!?

Also I too have put my calendar up, I’ve actually put it over the top of our family calendar so as not to loose out on either Laughing

I do hope your right Sue and I get some success like Paul’s, the pics will be fantastic & clear I think!

Elle
xx
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Elle,

I would probably seal but but also give it a lick of paint, The paint I use for my boxes being exposed to rain is "Cuprinol Garden Shades" can find it in most stores I get mine from b&q it is a waterbased paint so 100% safe for birds and animals but it also as wax in the paint (so have read online) so when rain hits it instead of soaking into the wood is bounces off which I can say 100% is the case as I have seen this on my own boxes. gives weather protection for between 4 - 6 years I give my boxes 3 coats of it can get it in a number of lovely colours.

I'll post pictures of a few of my boxes that have the Cuprinol Garden Shades paint on them below.

new box
new box
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 4 Time(s)

Side View Box
Side View Box
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 2 Time(s)

Painted
Painted
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 1 Time(s)

I also have one painted in a dark brown colour there is loads of different colours of the paint, After sealing the box I would recommend Cuprinol Garden Shades in my experience its worked really well for my boxes that are in direct rain etc.

Sorry about this turning into an essay Laughing just wanted to give you abit of info in what I do for my boxes exposed to bad weather.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elle
I have used Sandolin on the outside of my boxes. It is like Paul says with the garden fence paints, but has a waxy feel to it when dry so water runs off it. Also on my sisters box she has a water issue and my hubby has cut a piece of Perspex and screwed that on to the side which seems to get all the wet weather, this has kept the box dry so far.

Good Luck
Kathy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone ( nice to see you back Gina). Very interesting about the paints, good advice. I have had a few visits to my boxes over past few days with one box where a pair of blue tits are practically residing there (unfortunately not my camera box). Time will tell.
Any advice on programme settings for camera box. All set up and running well but am a bit confused by the programme re settings for recording etc. The programme used is called 'One Channel', and most settings are straight forward, but in the 'motion' category I am not sure if I am setting things right. I have motion sensor to set recording going and that is all ok but one of the settings says 'motion event duration' and gives me options from 5 seconds to one minute. I don't know if this refers to motion before recording begins or duration of recording - but bit confusing because motion record length is another setting?!?! Any ideas anyone? Reason I am concerned is because although I have had visits, camera doesn't seem to start recording immediately and several times I have just caught the back end of a blue tit going out if the visit is brief. I know this is really the wrong section for this but just thought I'd ask before season well and truly gets under way. Thanks.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help much with this Sue cause as you all know I just basically record my videos or take picture as I seen them happening with my iphone. But it sounds like " motion event duration" means how long you wish for it to record after the motion goes off I don't know am not good with stuff like this with never using it but that is how it sounds too me.

Sorry can't help hope someone can help you! Its good your camera box is getting visits though Very Happy Fingers crossed

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue
Not going to be much help with this one as I'm guessing your set up & not sure what program you are using. My set up is not computer linked as I suspect yours is. All I can say is that some camera programs are not so sensitive as others in as much as if the bird entering the box then going out is only a few seconds, the motion detection may be late in initializing therefore it is not kicking in immediately when the bird hits the nest plate. The filming should continue while the bird is in the box and moving,when it leaves it stops, hence you have created a file.
(I have this problem with my outside cameras on occasions because BT's are so swift at flying they do not give the camera enough time to capture it!)

Even a 2 min file is huge to store on a computer hard drive therefore it is not advisable to have them running 24/7 especially if you use your computer for other work as I do..
Your set-up may be asking you to determine how long you want the 'motion duration' to run for before it switches off. If this is so you may want to extend the duration of time if you get a nest as more will be happening and this might be where your second option comes in.
Mine is a separate unit and is on motion detect 24/7. A fly or a sun beam passing over the box will switch the detection on!! This is not a problem for me because the unit just goes back to the beginning when it exhausts its capacity but with your software this may be different. Are you getting any files which are empty -in other words no bird in box but you have a file?

If you haven't done this already it might be worth setting your 'motion detection' to 5 mins max and see how you progress with that.If you are getting empty files reduce the motion duration facility otherwise if you are viewing files via your machine you will be getting chock a block very quickly.

Do the instructions give you any more options other than the two you have mentioned?

Finally could you speak with the manufacturer or the place you bought it from just to make things crystal clear for you?
Kathy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul and Kathy for your replies. No, haven't got any instructions as my son got the camera and set it up. Instructions for setting up the camera in the box but nothing for the programme. It works fine when I just switch on the record when I spot something, but was hoping to catch anything I missed whilst out. Tried to upload a photo of the screen for you to see the list of settings but although the photo looks ok on my camera, when I try to upload it to the site all the interference from taking it from a screen (I am assuming), makes the picture unreadable. Anyway I know it starts recording after about 5 seconds so not missing a lot, just confusing that it asks about 'motion event duration' and also 'recording duration'. Have to get hubby to pretend to be a bird and try to work it out lol. Only address on the packaging etc that I kept is the serial number on the camera, and address etc refers to the camera (setting up in a box), but absolutely nothing at all about the programme that it automatically uploaded. Never mind, know it works ok IF something is in the box long enough ha ha. Thanks again. Loving getting a bit of action though.
Sue
Ps. No Kathy, no empty files.
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue
Type into google your software name and see if any instructions for it are on there, surprising what you can find!
K.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy, yes did that and found a PDF for One Channel USB Dvr which is the name of the programme, but it just says about connecting etc , very little about each individual setting. Although some helpful bits, it did tell me that - like you said with yours - it will overwrite when memory full. Thank you for trying to help. Wish I was more savvy with technical jargon but it just goes over my head. Still, worked ok when the sparrows nested - just the sparrows misbehaved by obliterating my view with their nest building lol. Will just try different setting for a day or two and hopefully work it out. Thank you again.

Everyone loving their calendars Kathy x

Sue
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about painting the box, I do have the fence Cuprinol so will paint it with that and seal as advised.

Sorry I definitely can’t help Sue, as I do what Paul does and take photos off screen with my iPad. Im definitely not technically minded so you lost me after the first sentence Roll on the floor laughing but good luck 😉

Elle
Xx
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even lost myself ELLE, I pretend to know what I'm talking about but haven't got a clue when it comes to technology. 😂.
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: