The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thank you Paul for your good wishes and kind comments!! Having a good day today (healthwise) another year older but what the heck can't do nowt abt it as we say down here.?

Had some lovely gifts Paul, one was a super camera with a longer range lens than my old one so hopefully get some nice birdie shots when I work out how to use it. Also some money (ideal for mealies next season) some smellies plus a smashing bunch of flowers and a book by Paul O'Grady who is from your neck of the woods, all about his animals and small holding in Kent.
The top gift also from hubby along with the camera was a 6 night stay in a Norfolk Windmill!!!!! Right up my street as they say always wanted to stay in a Windmill & a Lighthouse!!! So looking forward to that in February.

Thanks for dropping by -bird wise still have the two girls each night but the BT is fouling her box a bit but definitely a female bird as she takes a few out now and again. Laughing
See you are keeping your feathered friends close to your chest and rightly so!

K x
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome Kathy, Brilliant presents! Glad you've been spolit you deserve it! The 6 day get away sounds amazing too you'll love that.

Enjoy the rest of your day!
x

ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY’ 🎂🎉💐 to you Kathy

Hope you’ve had a nice relaxing day!

Elle
Xx
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elle
You are all so kind on here. Off out for a meal at one of my locals tonight with close friends it will round the day off nicely! Wine Party
BT & GT are snuggled up in their box. Hubby also bought me a Bat Box which he has erected today, know it's probably a little late now to get an occupant but there is always next year!

Kathy x
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late to the party oops - happy birthday Kathy Flowers Thumbs up Wine . So envious of the windmill, sounds amazing. Hope your evening out is good - don't wake your little roosters on your return lol. 🎉🎂💐🎁
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never too late to the party Sue! Thanks for sending your birthday wishes to me.
Yes, it will be very interesting to stay in the Aylsham windmill. If you would like to have a look here is the website address.
aylshamwindmill.co.uk

Sorry to read you have no takers yet, like you say they must breed them tough in the south but the weather is supposed to be -4 this weekend so keep em peeled! Laughing
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy, I must say you have surprised me with the bat box! I know some people think they are lovely creatures but im not a fan myself, as we have had bats in our roof space for about the last 10years and being protected cannot be removed. (Which I would gladly). We have often seen them flatten themselves against the wall and crawl on all ‘fours’ underneath the facia board into the roof. Freaks me out Nail biting At wits end
When we first saw one going in we got the vermin people down to confirm and he said they can sometimes build up to groups of about 200.
Sometimes you can faintly hear them like fluttering.
The thing is we need to change our extension roof sometime in next couple of years & that roof ties into the main roof so apparently we have to time it accordingly to when they leave, including any new babies!

You must be truly a lovely person to want to entice them Laughing

Elle
Xx
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elle did you read Bram Stoker's Dracula when you were younger because Bats always remind me of that tale! Laughing
A few years back we had to have our kitchen extension roof re-felted and when the builder took the old stuff off there was a couple of hibernating bats in there. Of course work had to stop while I rang bat conservation and they sent someone out to look. We were able to continue finishing the job providing we left a small gap under the soffit so they could get out. In early summer we see them flying round the garden catching insects and this was what gave me the idea.
I can understand your dislike because yes they can have large roosts but there are so little places for them nowadays I thought I would give a helping hand, shall not be putting a camera in though hubby says we have enough!!!

Kathy
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll on the floor laughing Roll on the floor laughing funny enough I did read that along time ago!!

What put me off was the way it squashed itself against the wall to climb in, we had to keep the secret of them for a lot of years until my daughters grew up a bit because it was directly above one of their windows. Fortunately it is above the daughter window who is absolutely ecstatic about all wildlife, so that worked out ok. I don’t actually know what ‘variety’ it is Roll on the floor laughing I just know it wasn’t a little one (pippet) I think that’s what they call them.?

Anyway we have lived with them for so long, we have learnt to live alongside them. Bit awkward in summer when we have BBQs and people see them swoop for the first time!

Elle
Xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: