The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Lethargic goldfinch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Lethargic goldfinch Reply with quote

There's a juvenile male goldfinch currently in the garden, been there around 40 mins now. Usually spend between 5-15 mins and arrive and leave together, but he isn't leaving.

He's been feeding almost constantly on the nyger feeder, and also drinking. I was able to get within a couple of feet earlier when I saw him, but he seemed more interested in feeding. He flew onto the fence when i got too close but straight back to the feeder when I moved away.

Other goldfinches have come and gone since I noticed him - he seems OK but now seems to be roosting on the ground, hasn't moved for 10 mins.

Im assuming leaving him alone is the best option but it'll be dark in a couple of hours and its going to be a cold night too. Any suggestions other than leaving him?
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Starseven

Just seen your post as I've been away for a few days. Has the Goldfinch recovered? Wondered as it was a juvenile it may have hit a window and was unwell from the impact, we get a lot of young ones hit our picture window at fledging time. However if it was eating and drinking a good sign surely? Sad
Let us know the outcome.

Kathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Visitors All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: