The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Pauls boxes 2017 [2 Blue Tits,Sparrow,Dunnock,Great Tit]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Paul, still none for me (or that I know of). I keep checking camera box in vain hope. Having said that the two years I've had a rooster it has only arrived early in the new year or when when extremely cold.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially got a third rooster now, Kathy will be happy its in the new purple box Laughing

Rooster Number 3
Rooster Number 3
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 2 Time(s)

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, lucky you Paul. They certainly know where the best boxes are Very Happy
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all but have only just returned from holiday so trying to catch up with posts and my filmed visits for the last week.
Paul a rooster in the purple box! yes I am very happy it is a super colour as it's my fav' as you know. Obviously a bird who has superb taste!!!!

I've still got Lily, as I have now called her. Also had some nest wriggles from a GT in my lower wall box No2. Obviously she is going through the motions but will have to be patient & wait to see if it goes anywhere.

No more visits to the Starling box to date.

Sue - Don't give up hope for a rooster, there is plenty of time yet! Wait till the temperature starts to drop you might get a surprise.

Off now to plant up some Tulips Rose

Kathy x
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not giving up Kathy, just keeping eyes open. Last year was in to November that a rooster arrived. Year before was January. Plenty of time yet, but would rather a nesting in my box spring next year lol
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed your confussed female leads to her nesting come spring Kathy! Yes sue I second that do not give up yet Very Happy

Here's a little video update on my 3, Still have all 3 at the moment.

VIDEO HERE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDTNVVnFp8

roosting blue tit 1
roosting blue tit 1
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 1 Time(s)

roosting blue tit 2
roosting blue tit 2
Poster: WildlifePaul, viewed 1 Time(s)

roosting blue tit 3
roosting blue tit 3

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update, One of the roosters (in the new purple box) is female. She's been coming in during the day and cleaning out the poo. I am 100% sure it is "Emily" who's eggs didn't hatch the new purple box is in the same place her box was this year, The bird as a little scar above the eye like Emily had so at this point I am sure its Emily back.

Maybe it will lead to another nest off her spring 2018? Lets see hopefully if it does this time it will be a success egg hatching wise.
Still got all 3 roosters 2 of them being male.

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
That would not surprise me at all, the way Emily hung on to her eggs this year it would make sense wouldn't it and as you say she is so easy to identify. I know we have many months to go yet but if it is her then I'm going to keep fingers crossed for the purple box may it will bring her luck as the colour did for me! (I won a few quid wearing a purple top in a pub quiz!!) Laughing

Kathy
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I should paint my boxes purple then lol !? So hope it is Emily Paul, and she goes on to nest with a successful outcome in the spring.
I have had a blue tit coming at dusk for the last three evenings to the tree above the box that was used last year. I have moved the box to,opposite side of the garden wall so that it is visible to me. It is wrong way for the birds so I have constructed shade over it in the hope it may get used. It is still under the same tree. Haven't seen the blue tit enter the box but maybe it's checking it out for roosting as it's appearing at dusk! I will keep my eyes peeled in the hope.
Sue
Greatbluehopeful

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul...gorgeous little guys!! Your boxes are such a success.

Just popping in to let you know I have a rooster. Perhaps the modifications I made to the box will pay off.

Best of luck over the winter months.

WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comments Sue, Kathy & GBH.

I think the female rooster is 100% emily it will be good to see what becomes of it during spring.

Tonight I got my fourth yes 4th rooster Laughing in another one of my side boxes (I have 3 side boxes in total) I have 8 camera boxes overall and 4 being used for roosting so good outcome this autumn.

Here's a little picture of it

4th rooster
4th rooster

Its funny its roosting at the front of the box below the enterance hole, You see Emily does this and I have noticed all my female roosters do this. Is it the same for your female Kathy? My two males (very messy) roost at the back of the box as you can see in the pictures I posted of all 3 the other day, so it will be interesting to see if this turns out female like emily.

Just something have noticed over the years in my boxes i'll keep you posted.

SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Paul, this just isn't fair - how much are you paying them? Laughing Very pleased for you, and very interesting about where the different sexes roost in the box - be interesting to know if it's always this way. The two roosters I have had in the past two years have both been dirty males and both rooster at the back of the box. Now please leave a few roosters for the rest of us lol
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Paul in answer to your question nest hole is to the left of my screen and Lily sleeps top left hand corner so I am going to say yes on this one! What I would like to know is there a valid reason for this by the female?

Had another visit yesterday to the Starling box think it was probably looking for insects. I know Starlings love Mealies so I am putting out dried ones out in order to tempt them. Don't think it was the same one as last time as it didn't seem to be as comfortable in the box as the previous one although it did linger for about 4 mins.

Like Sue says how much are you charging for room and board. Laughing congratulations on your 4th tenant!
Kathy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, Sacks of sunflower hearts and plenty of different suet options seem to do the trick for payment Laughing Roll on the floor laughing

Kathy, Very interesting. I thought it was maybe just mine but if your female also roosts at the front of the box that is indeed very interesting, I can confirm are new rooster seems female box looks clean this morning!

Its just something have picked up on over the last 2 years but I thought maybe its just how my local birds act but if your female also roosts at the front maybe more to it?

Great about another starling visit, Fingers crossed you get a nest come spring that would be brilliant for you!

ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
I have been reading what you have said about where in the box your birds roost, and I think you have hit onto something! At first I thought my rooster was female, but since I last posted, I have noticed there is poo in the box.
And low and behold, he’s sleeping at the back 😱😱. I’m wondering if you are the first person to discover this trate, as I’ve never, ever heard it been mentioned in all my years of nature programmes(and believe me I’ve seen a lot) growing up without such things as sky tv, that’s all we were brought up on to watch!!
So now you shall be known as “Paul the discoverer” Roll on the floor laughing Roll on the floor laughing

Elle
Xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: