The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Dublin Nestboxes 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coot

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Dublin nestbox 2017 Reply with quote

Hi Helen I hope little Owen makes it ok, such a great start with all those eggs being laid and then following the thread progress with some sadness. Jen has some learning to do. Fingers crossed for Owen. Very Happy
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for lovely kind wishes but sadly poor little Owen didn't last the night Sad
I suppose there could have been something wrong with them all, but I definetly think it was lack of food, they were just undersized and undernourished.
Hope Jen isn't around here next year Sad

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Helen, so sorry. An awful year for so many. Feel for you and know you had your doubts about Jen from the start. Do you think it was a lack of food about or lack of Jens feeding? Whichever, I hope Jen matures and I hope weather is kinder next year so food supplies remain on the trees longer.
Hugs.
Sue
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Helen Crying or Very sad

Such sad news Sad

blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read your sad news Helen, Sad thought it was just a case of being last in the line for food and he needed building up. I believe the birds know when when they are not fit enough to go into the wild and this was probably the case here but who knows for certain.?
Chin up thinking of you.
Kathy x
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes so sad, it's amazing how creatures so tiny can have such an emotional impact on us Sad

We opened up the box as there were bluebottles starting to make themselves at home, and poor little Owen was far too small to survive, bless him, not even an inch in length.

The nest was a disaster, no base and only about an inch high in places.

My final guess is they all died from cold and lack of food, but who knows Rolling Eyes
Sue the weather wasn't too bad here compared to other years, plenty of food around,spiders, moths,butterflies and cuckoo spit which other years has been a great favourite.
Anyway onwards and upwards.....

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also amazing how all your kind messsages of support and sympathy help, so, thanks all.
My family are just happy they can open the patio door again (it's beside box, so locked while birds in nest)

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes so sad, it's amazing how creatures so tiny can have such an emotional impact on us Sad

We opened up the box as there were bluebottles starting to make themselves at home, and poor little Owen was far too small to survive, bless him, not even an inch in length.

The nest was a disaster, no base and only about an inch high in places.

My final guess is they all died from cold and lack of food, but who knows Rolling Eyes
Sue the weather wasn't too bad here compared to other years, plenty of food around,spiders, moths,butterflies and cuckoo spit which other years has been a great favourite.
Anyway onwards and upwards.....

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Helen...poor little Owen. They certainly do tug on our heartstrings....like you say he probably wasn't well. One good thing about nature is that there's always next spring when the outcome will be a good one.
Mine are in the process of fledging and after the warm shelter of the nest I really do wonder how they will survive this weather Fingers crossed Fingers crossed Fingers crossed
Sending you warm wishes and lots of hope for next year.
ELLE

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Helen Crying or Very sad

I'm so sorry to hear Owen didn't make it, after all your efforts, you certainly did your very best, no one can take that away from you.
Let's hope next year you have better luck, you certainly deserve it, no doubt at all.

Elle
Xx
hfriel

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, my spirits were lifted this afternoon when I was out in the back garden and a family of longtailed tits were flitting round the from tree to tree, they are such a joy to watch particularly the young fledglings.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are beautiful Helen. Unfortunately I never see long tailed tits here, but we have friends who have a whole 'flock' it would seem, in their garden so I love it when we visit them. Always something in nature to bring a smile, helps with the lows.
Take care.
Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: