The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017 Reply with quote

Hi all
As it is getting closer to nesting season I thought I would start a new thread. Banana!
I am still getting visitors but this has slowed since the weather turned wet and cold in the last few days. However, I thought this unexpected visit was amusing -a Blue Tit inspecting my Starling Box (new for 2017)

It looks as if it is quite perplexed by the reflection of itself in the camera lens, or is it the size of the box? You can hear it thinking - we could get quite a few chicks in here!!!!

I don't think it will take the nest though as it would be open to predators )45mm hole) ; but as BT 's will nest anywhere you never can tell! Very Happy It would be a first for me and would be quite interesting to watch though.

Good to see your pics Paul and welcome back Sue -fingers crossed for you
Kathy

Starling Box BT(1).JPG
128.56 KB, Viewed 130 Time(s)

Last edited by blueeyedchick on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:19 am; edited 3 times in total
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! So good to see you back Kathy with your own thread! I'm looking forward to seeing the going on's in your boxes this spring always brilliant and brilliant pictures too! Hope this season is a good one for you.
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy, good luck with the starling box. Maybe the blue tit is thinking of having an extra partner and double its family in your box - seems to be the trend with these naughty little birds ha ha. Hope it's a good season for you
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
I love your 'three in a bed' roosters!. I wait with anticipation to see if any ringed birds do take up your boxes in the coming weeks. It is getting exciting now isn't it?
I've had another BT check out my high wall box 1 this morning at 8.30 so they are obviously still looking.
I have also had another visit from a BT checking out the Starling box, I wonder if it is the same one?

Sue
Yes, there is always the possibility of them getting up to having two wives if Paul's BT's are anything to go by!

I do hope that you will have a nest this time and be able to keep us updated on the Ferndown Blue Tits!!!! Fingers crossed
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy, not much movement here at all re blue tits. Know bit early yet but would like to see some visits. Only got camera in one of my boxes, so difficult to know with others. Just have to remain observant. Yours sounds promising as does Paul's, and I see Elizabeth has had first materials brought in. Come on Ferndown blue tits ha ha.
Sue
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: quick visit Reply with quote

quick visit
quick visit
Poster: SueP, viewed 7 Time(s)
Well well, looks like I did have a visitor after all. checked out the camera and went in and out couple of times Fingers crossed
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue

What a surprise for you that DOES look promising. Who would not want to take up residence in a brand new box? Isn't it great being able to see what is happening inside. I feel that you will be lucky this year my fingers and toes are crossed for you! Yes come on the Ferndown Blue Tits Sue has much to offer!!!,

It's pouring with rain here this morning so not surprising no visits to my boxes Sad .

Kathy
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Sue, Just seen your picture of the blue tit visit to your camera box! Got everything crossed for you that you get a blue tit nest in your camera box Fingers crossed
SueP

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kathy and Paul. Nest box is a new one Kathy but left very stained from the mess left from a rooster. Hope it doesn't put birds off. Had fights going on all morning involving two blue tits and a sparrow! The fighting is at the bottom of my garden where I have a three holed woodcrete box. Looks like the blue tits are really interested in it but the sparrow is really aggressive with no real reason because there is no way he use that box because my son made a plate for the front which will only allow blue tits or smaller. Guess the sparrows are territorial because they feed here every day!! However, getting interest which is the main thing. Hope it gets resolved.
Sue
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it will Sue, BT's are pretty tenacious too if they have their hearts set on a box as I observed last year with Sneaky Peg being ousted from her box in the garden! BT's and Sparrows get along okay here they nest under the tiles and make quite a racket defending their territory.
However, as you say you are seeing some action which is good.
I suppose we are all treading water at the moment watching for nesting wriggles which as you know is a sure sign that the box is taken!

The weather is lovely here today although chilly. I had two visits to my high wall box 1 at 7.30am which was a pair of BT's. My lower wall box 2 with the better camera has also been visited again.
The Starling box had another BT visitor too, so am I catching up with Paul?

Anyway Sue we shall see what transpires. Smile
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh kathy you are catching up with me for sure! Laughing You take better pictures than me too Roll on the floor laughing

Nice to see the forum having abit of life brought back into it! Been mainly me all winter Laughing

Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kathy's Nest Boxes 2017 Reply with quote

blueeyedchick wrote:
Hi all
As it is getting closer to nesting season I thought I would start a new thread. Banana!
I am still getting visitors but this has slowed since the weather turned wet and cold in the last few days. However, I thought this unexpected visit was amusing -a Blue Tit inspecting my Starling Box (new for 2017)

It looks as if it is quite perplexed by the reflection of itself in the camera lens, or is it the size of the box? You can hear it thinking - we could get quite a few chicks in here!!!!

I don't think it will take the nest though as it would be open to predators )45mm hole) ; but as BT 's will nest anywhere you never can tell! Very Happy It would be a first for me and would be quite interesting to watch though.

Good to see your pics Paul and welcome back Sue -fingers crossed for you
Kathy

It does look perplexed Kathy! Smile Don't despair re the Starling box. Ours went unoccupied for a couple of seasons. Then we had 3 years on the bounce followed by 4 years of nothing again and then success again this last three years. Fingers crossed that you get both blue tits and starlings in the correct boxes! Fingers crossed
WildlifePaul

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen your post in the other thread Kathy about your daily visits and nest wriggles all looks very promising for you! Thought I'd comment in your own thread Only box have seen wriggles in for mine so far is sparrow box who is nest building and our female blue tit who's been roosting the last 2 weeks but I haven't been checking all my boxes or don't have them set up to anything that records it or nothing only see it when I see it with my own eyes etc, I'm sure nest building will start for you soon I'm just waiting for our blue tits to start now! Currently watching a robin nest building like crazy in same ivy the blackbird is nesting. P.s hope your starling box is used I was thinking of getting one since we have ALOT of starlings in the garden but I don't think it would be used I have never seen them nesting locally.
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Paul as I've said in a previous post we are all waiting for that first bit of moss! It is still early and my boxes could take a nasty turn with none of them being used in the end. At the moment I will settle for one. I look forward to spring every year and I would be bitterly disappointed if my nest boxes were overlooked as some posters have experienced on here in the past.

You will definitely see a nest they would be daft not too with all the mealworms you provide! . I am waiting to see if any of your ringed ones set up on your patch. I think there will be one mad rush in a week or two's time. I have a regular Robin visitor but my Robin box has not been used at all even though it is at the correct height and in cover so I don't know why they don't like it. Perhaps its the local felines?

Starlings nest in loose colonies so why don't you put one up for 2018 and see if you get anything. They apparently will take readily to boxes so it's worth a try.
My idea of a box was inspired by Benn who I think said they have lovely blue eggs and it is the male that starts the nest building. I bought a cheapish camera and my hubby has wired it so I can see anything happening on the monitor and I can record it too. So fingers crossed! Fingers crossed
Benn

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly recommend a Starling box to anyone.

Their nesting behaviour is certainly different but fascinating! They do bicker a lot at the start. Its hard to differentiate between the two but the male does have a slightly deeper yellow beak. The male will choose the box then sing his heart out for weeks at this time of year trying to attract a mate. He will bring in the odd bit of nesting material when a female is around and the odd flower or new leaf for decoration!

When the female accepts his invitation she will then continue to build the straw nest which is quite scruffy in comparison to tits.

She will lay 4 to 5 beautiful sky blue eggs and both parents share the incubation. They are very good parents and I am always amazed at the amount of grubs they bring in from the fields. These are mostly the grubs of crane fly larvae or better known as leather jackets. They fledge around 22 days after hatching and don't leave until all are strong flyers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Bird Boxes All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: