The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Offset your Carbon emissions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Offset your Carbon emissions Reply with quote

A great way to offset your Carbon emissions....

see

http://www.worldlandtrust.org/index.htm

I'm thinking Ecuador Rain Forest....

(David Attenborough endorses this organisation ....just think how many air miles he spends......)

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a worthwhile scheme, but I do wish people would try to reduce their carbon emissions, rather than soothe their consciences in this way - as well as supporting such schemes of course!

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
It sounds a worthwhile scheme, but I do wish people would try to reduce their carbon emissions, rather than soothe their consciences in this way - as well as supporting such schemes of course!

Its all on the website too...how to reduce your carbon emissions!!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corinna wrote:

Its all on the website too...how to reduce your carbon emissions!!

I only had a quick look, so I didn't get that far - will read it later.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea C, I saw this in the BBC's Wildlife Mag this month too, although they recommended another scheme it was just for renewable energy sources, whereas the World Land Trust contributes to biodiversity and social aspects too.

I tried to work through the assessment on the website, but didn't have all my data to hand, so I've asked for the standard carbon emissions for a family of four to be offset as my Christmas present.

........and I do try to reduce my emissions too, I think if everyone had to pay a carbon tax it would concentrate their minds - I'm all for it!!

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
It sounds a worthwhile scheme, but I do wish people would try to reduce their carbon emissions
I wish that, too, but the only way to do that is at first hand to reduce fuel production, because people consume whatever they can get. Reducing that, again, is so much against moneymaking principles of any society, that forget about it. We're all going to be dead by 2150, as some prophet said Evil or Very Mad

I only reduce consumption because it makes me happy Very Happy

Location: The part of London with the smallest number of birds

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean paul dacre, karwin? Laughing

the thing is, ppl go on and on about carbon, but what about all the other harmful chemicals we throw into our atmosphere: methane, and the other ones i cant remember? and beware with some of the carbon neutral companies - very often they are a scam. one, carbonneutral.org, something like that, all they do is give u a certificate to say that such and such a tree, which was already planted without any of their help, wont be cut down for 100 years... even though there were no plans to cut it down at all - ever - anyway. and even the planting trees to offset is pointless... i just cant remember why Embarassed the only real solution is to reduce emissions
Edit: I remember now. Some of these offset companies,what they do is they promise to plant a forest in such and such poor country, then they do heavy monoculture of non-native species which is very harmful to local ecology. If you're going to get someone to plant a tree, then make sure you do it through a wildlife-conscious organisation like woodlands trust.

I'm such a killjoy arent i Laughing

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have moved to a smaller town. I am now semiretired. There is lots of wind but we can bicycle. About 8 months easily. One car now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Useful Sites All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: