The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Our bird eatery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugadifino

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Our bird eatery Reply with quote

A few pics of visitors to our Cafe
Greenfinch
Greenfinch
Poster: bugadifino, viewed 89 Time(s)

Goldfinch
Goldfinch
Poster: bugadifino, viewed 58 Time(s)

Diner
Diner
Poster: bugadifino, viewed 76 Time(s)

Wheres my grub?
Wheres my grub?
Poster: bugadifino, viewed 77 Time(s)

I'll ave summa that
I'll ave summa that
Poster: bugadifino, viewed 82 Time(s)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dave.

I'd love to be able to put feeders in shrubs like that, but I have to hang ours on poles protected by baffles to keep the squirrels off - there were four of them in the garden yesterday! They don't go hungry though - not all the stuff put out for ground feeding birds is "squirrel proofed".

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our problem is with Feral pigeons, they are a real pest, up to 40 at a time. We're unable to put anything on the floor or table, as they just hoover anything in sight. The mess they make is unbelievable, and the smell............

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a cage to stop larger birds from getting at food on the ground. I have the one with the smaller mesh shown here - but I had to put chicken wire round the bottom two levels to keep the starlings out.

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/product_details.php?area_id=2&prd_id=1039

At the moment it's being used (propped up at one side) to keep cats and a fox away from the hedgehog food.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to try, they've been up 2 weeks now. Instead of the expensive spill trays, use the following...............Especially the green ones they blend in better than the dayglo orange ones.

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2j+toys/product-is-24374/pgs-is-109

At the moment 2 for !, Araldite them to any feeder to cut spillage, it also encourages some of the ground feeders to eat from the tray. Touch wood the feral pigeons have'nt cottoned on how to stay on yet.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't view the picture, but they seem quite big (26cm) - doesn't that make if rather difficult to clean the feeders?

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a picture on the site, they had them aon the checkouts. Theyre only about 9" in diameter.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
After 6 weeks the pigeons have now learned to hang on the plates, eating even more, spilling even more, increasing the population. Anyone got a blunderbus i can borrow.

pakistan.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be patient as I am sure that one day I will be rewarded, maybe in winter when the natural food isnt so readily available and a hungry bird happens by. I now have in my garden several fatballs, wild bird mix, and mealworms. I will be out shopping tomorrow for some sunflower seeds and hearts and give them a try too. I am also going to get another couple of bird baths as my garden is quite large and would very nicely house a bath in each corner. Thank you for your advice it is greatly appresiated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: