The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Sunflower versus Niger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Sunflower versus Niger Reply with quote

I have two feeders side by side on the same pole, one with sunflower hearts, one with niger seeds. The gold finches only use the niger feeder when the sunflower hearts are empty - in fact I rarely have to fill the niger, about once every two months, sunflower at least once per week......the niger seed are sprouting at the bottom Shocked .

I think this pretty well proves that goldfinch prefer sunflower, I will not buy anymore niger!

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alan
I'm pretty much with you on this. I like to provide as much variety as possible for all my visitors. However, my Goldfinch's like both Niger and Sunflower and only when they can't get on the Sunflower seeds do they move over to the Niger!. I have bought a smaller feeder now for the thistle seed so that they are eaten quicker and have no time to sprout; except the bits that fall on the lawn.
I've noticed lately that the Sparrows have started to try and eat the Niger but their beaks are too bulky for the holes! I have a bird station and again notice how the larger birds like Collared Dove will learn to perch on the hoppers, they are all so adaptable. Have you noticed this?
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doves used to perch on the 'old fashioned' feeders but I now use the expensive squirrel proof ones that close the feeding holes if a large bird perches on the ring, even a starling will close the feeder.....they all now wait on the ground below and hoover the droppings....gold finches being the worst 'dropper'. Still they all now have something to eat......even the sparrow hawk which drops by for a hot meal at least twice per week.....

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I offered niger seeds, and the goldfinches made an appearance - but they soon changed to hearts, which were also on offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: