The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Removing nests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolly Daydream

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Removing nests Reply with quote

I when into our garage yesterday and found a robins nest in the roof. it's a new nest this year, although I haven't noticed it before. It's empty now so they must have finished with it.
I would love to see them using it again next year, so do I remove it or do I leave it. Do robins use the same nest again or will they rebuild a new one ?

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Joanne - lucky you to have a robin's nest in your garage! A few years ago we watched a robin regularly taking mealworms from our caged feeder, and flying into the thick hedge at the side of the garden - but couldn't see any sign of a nest when we watched from a distance. Several months later, we found that our next door neighbour (the other side of the hedge) had a robin's nest in his shed!!!! Rolling Eyes What a cheek - taking our mealworms then nesting elsewhere.

I'm not sure about your nest query - we always clear out our nesting boxes in the autumn (as advised by the RSPB) but I think I'd be inclined to leave your nest. I don't know if it would be used again - but the robin may well "refurbish" it and use it again.

Good luck - and do let us know if you're lucky again nrxt year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: