The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Wren

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHICKCHICK

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Wren Reply with quote

Whoop Whoop. A wren has made a nest in one of my nesting pockets. I was going to throw the pocket out as the roof had come come off but decided to tie it back on with green string. It is attached to a pergola behind an unoccupied nesting box and right alongside my conservatory so I have a bird's eye view of the build. The wren is not nervous at all, taking the dry moss of my very old pear tree. I have not seen a partner yet.

So that's two nests. The wren and a family of blue tits in another box.
CHICKCHICK

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Nests Reply with quote

All the baby blue tits that hatched are dead Crying or Very sad

The Wren is still building his nest, no sign of Jenny yet !
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chickchick
How is your Wren doing? I believe that the male makes skeleton nests and the female then chooses the one she wants and then finishes it, am I correct in this? Nevertheless, it is very interesting for you to have one brave enough to nest in a box, they are such sweet creatures, we occasionally get one in our garden but never seen a nest.I also understand it is only a fraction heavier than our smallest bird the Gold Crest.

Sad to hear about your Bluey's seems to be the theme this year. Our Hilda and Howard Blue Tit are busy with their brood. We had 10 eggs, 2 failed to hatch and it looks like we are down to six chicks today although I cannot see any bodies from yesterday but maybe they are outside of camera view.

This morning I have witnessed a neighbours cat ambush and kill one of our house sparrows it is so distressing. I hope he didn't have a nest to support. Unfortunately there is little I can do to protect the birds from these preditors.
Anyway hope all keeps going on nicely.
Kathy
CHICKCHICK

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Kathy,
If you look at my gallery you will see the Wren's nest. It is built in one of those nesting pockets you buy from B & Q. Haven't seen the wren today.
Good luck with your bluies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: