The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hilda Blue Tit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueeyedchick

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Hilda Blue Tit Reply with quote

Hi everyone
Just wanted you to know that we have a nest being constructed since March 28th when I noticed a few dog hairs on the box floor. We came back from our Easter break and found that Hilda was almost finished except for one side wall and her nest cup! Weather is warming a little here but not quite warm enough yet she is ahead of herself!
Last Tuesday we observed a vicious fight between her and an intruder. Hilda was out shopping when a burglar entered her home. The stranger was in the box and Hilda flew in and challenged it, lots of squealing and quite unnerving but most was hot air I think and Hilda won the bout.
Don't know if this was a male or a female but certainly different from Hilda as she has a colour bleed under her eye which helps me identify her when she is in the box. That same evening she roosted in her nest which was unusual as she has not done it since.
Today she has brought in more material so fingers crossed she will go all the way! She has also noticed the camera and is pecking at it occasionally when she pecks the walls for security. Has anyone had damage from this in previous years? Also any experience or suggestions as to why there was a fight and it is more likely to be a male rather than another female wanting the nest. I didn't think that male and female would have an altercation, but do they?. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Welcome and Other Greetings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: