The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Camera advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jo13

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Camera advice? Reply with quote

Hi, I have only just joined the forum tonight, New Years eve! being the sad person I am Laughing I already have four nest boxes with cameras but would like to buy a external one to monitor the nest box entrance, has anyone purchased one recently that is good, like the pictures in Elizabeth & Malcolm's diary? Jo

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jo, and welcome to the Forum.

Malcolm is not around at the moment, but I'll ask him to tell you about our cameras when he's back.

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jo,

The external cameras that we have were all bought some time ago - the last one in 2008! They are Sony IR LED Day & Night cameras, usually with a 6mm fixed focal length lens. They were all bought from iCatcher's CCTV shop and cost variously between 120 and 165, the difference in prices being due to being bought at different times over a number of years.

The camera trained on the bird table has a 16mm focal length lens as it has to be mounted further from the bird table than the external bird box cameras are.

I have looked at the iCatcher CCTV web site and I cannot find any cameras of this type so this is not a great help! However, Googling for "high definition weatherproof day night camera" produces many replies at much lower prices!

All our cameras are connected to my PC via video and 12v power cables and a video capture card. This means that we have long cables (up to 20yds long!) trailing along the hedges at the edge of our garden. Wireless connectivity was not reliable enough when we started but even now, using a wireless connection would mean you constantly have to change the batteries that would be in the camera in the absence of a wired link.

I know that there are a lot of very cheap cameras out there. However, as with most things in life, if you don't pay the price, you don't get the quality and we have never regretted getting good quality, though expensive, cameras.

Our Bluetit Diary can be found at http://www.biggonline.co.uk
Jo13

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Camera info Reply with quote

Thank you for taking so much time replying and researching!
I have found a camera with a variable lens from 2.8 to 12mm, so I hope this will be suitable.
Only put my 1st box up last February but did not get anything nesting in it, prob too late in the year. I did have a Great Tit roosting in it from end of October for 4 weeks, then left one morning and did'nt return Sad thought he/she would stay for the winter. Have been having quite a few visits since, so I really hope I will be lucky this year! I love reading your diary and learning more about their behaviour. Many Thanks & Happy New year! Jo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: