The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Great Tits Laying for a Third Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Great Tits Laying for a Third Time Reply with quote

I posted here a few weeks ago questioning if Great Tits could produce a 2nd brood as it appeared Mum was visiting the nest just 2 days after the first brood fledged.

Well the answer was yes as the 2nd brood fledged just over a week ago. More surprises in store - she is back laying again!

Now I did make sure there was lots of dog hair and live mealworms throughout her pregnancies and she certainly doesn't want to give this home or egg laying up!

Will keep you posted - fledging of group 3 should be in about a month! Laughing
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my reference book (Collins field guide to bird nests, eggs and nestlings) when you mentioned a second brood, and found that this is not unusual in your area - though I was very surprised there wasn't a longer gap before she started again, as the fledglings need parental care for some time after they leave the box.

However, there is no mention of a third brood. so it seems that you are watching something very unusual.

Please do keep us posted! Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Third Brood Reply with quote

The father has been amazing. It is him who has done 99% of the feeding. Mum does come out if the nest to check on the young ones who are all still visiting the garden and feeding stations regularly. The first fledglings are feeding themselves on the nut and seed feeders but haven't worked out how to get into the live mealworm feeder!

By the way the blue tits fledged a couple of weeks ago Three one day and six the next so a successful year for our birds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: