The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Rescued Bluetit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skitti

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Rescued Bluetit Reply with quote

10 days ago my neighbours cat caught a tiny bluetit chick; she managed to free the bird, but he was too small to fly and was shocked, so she asked me if I could help. There was no sign of a nest or a mother bird and he was quite distressed so I bought him in & put him in a tiny cage with a towel and went to get some mealworms. It took some time to coax him to eat, but he eventually caught on, & quickly learned that if he heard my voice food would be forthcoming.
He eats well & poops look as they should, but I have been concerned the past few days because he keeps keeling over onto his left side. I took him to a vet on Thursday..paid 17.50 to be told she didn't know anything about bluetits but on examination said his wings are fine & that he was using both legs & claws & thought he wasn't fully co-ordinated yet....However if he doesn't improve in a week I should consider having him put to sleep Sad
Tonight one of his legs seems to have stopped working & seems to be at an odd angle but his is flitting around the cage, and is flapping his wings well as if ready to fly. I am really worried that if I set him free as he is, the leg will hinder him and I'm not really sure what to do.

Any advice on this would be really welcome.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can get hime to a rescue centre, I think you'll just have to let him go - he's a wild bird and shouldn't be kept in a cage.

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he shouldn't be in a cage, but he was way too small to survive on his own unfortunately. : Sad
I do have quite a lot of bird experience luckily so he's survived against the odds. Smile

The good news is that he is using both legs again this morning so I'm going to try to free him.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's excellent news - you did well to help him to survive, and I'm glad there's a happy ending!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: