The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Blue tits stopped feeding.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaldingd

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Blue tits stopped feeding. Reply with quote

Good Afternoon All,

I have a quick question regarding the family of Blue tits nesting on the side of our house. We have a camera equipped bird box and have been following their progress over the past weeks.

A few details to bring you up to speed:
Male found box and started roosting.
Female then started nest building.
6 Eggs were laid after the wet rainy period in April.
4 of the 6 hatched around 16 days ago (the other two eggs failed to hatch).
Chick have been fed regularly up until this afternoon by both parents.

This brings me to the events of today.

I have been monitoring the box since around 15:00 this afternoon and havenít seen the either parent come back to the nest once. This is going on for 2.5 hours now without a feed.

Is this normal?

All chicks are still very animated, out of the nest cup and chirping away loudly along with a few visits to the hole to take a look outside.

Thank you for any assistance or knowledge you can provide. At present i don't think their is any need to worry however 2.5 hours is very much out of the norm.
Jo

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've still no activity I think a very sad outcome is on your hands. I had this happen 5 years ago and it was heartbraking. The 'blessing for me' then was I didn't have the camera so could only hear the fading tweets from the lessening number of chicks.

I really hope your pair have returned by now.
spaldingd

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
If you've still no activity I think a very sad outcome is on your hands. I had this happen 5 years ago and it was heartbraking. The 'blessing for me' then was I didn't have the camera so could only hear the fading tweets from the lessening number of chicks.

I really hope your pair have returned by now.

Thanks for your input Jo.

With every passing seconds that seems more and more likly.

I am very much an advocate of "let mother nature do her thing" however in these situations that becomes a harder and harder to stand by.

Just to give an update. Still no sign of Mr. or Mrs. Blue. Chicks look mature enough to fledge (fully feathered, lots of wing flapping etc) so just got to hope these guys decide to do somthing about this by fledging on their own...

If anybody has any further information i would be most greatful.

Regards,
Daniel.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daniel, and welcome to the Forum. As Jo said, this is looking rather desperate now, but sadly, all you can do is hope for the best. I'm surprised that it's only 16 days since the chicks hatched out - we reckon 19-21 days before they fledge, but if one is already looking out of the hole, it seems more advanced than I would have expected at this age.

This has been a very strange year for breeding birds - eventually I shall get a report from the BTO about the results gathered from their Nest Box Challenge scheme.

You may not have seen this reply I had from them about problems they've already heard of: http://www.forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7179

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad things is though Daniel, that even if they do manage to fledge, there'll be no parent to continue feeding them out in the big wide world.

My disaster had 12 chicks all with feathers. My sister was pleading me to take over feeding them, but even if I could have attempted feeding over 17-18 hours for each of them, how on earth would I have taught them to fly? Sad

Strixaluco - the thread you link to is dated May last year ... is there another link to the 2012 thoughts?
spaldingd

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
Hello Daniel, and welcome to the Forum. As Jo said, this is looking rather desperate now, but sadly, all you can do is hope for the best. I'm surprised that it's only 16 days since the chicks hatched out - we reckon 19-21 days before they fledge, but if one is already looking out of the hole, it seems more advanced than I would have expected at this age.

This has been a very strange year for breeding birds - eventually I shall get a report from the BTO about the results gathered from their Nest Box Challenge scheme.

You may not have seen this reply I had from them about problems they've already heard of: http://www.forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7179

Thanks Strixaluco,

I did find your post regarding problems this year when i was browsing the site before posting.

I also thought that they were progressing very quickly and put this down to their only being 4 chicks (I understand they can have up to 12).

There is still no sign of mum or dad so it is now a case of waiting (and hoping for the best)

This will be the third year that Blue tits have failed in our garden. Three different boxes three different causes of failure. Non of which human interaction could have resolved.

I've have always taken the view that this is mother nature doing what she decides best.

On a slightly brighter note there are baby blackbirds and sparrows everywhere....

Regards,
Daniel.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo wrote:
Strixaluco - the thread you link to is dated May last year ... is there another link to the 2012 thoughts?

Oops - thanks for pointing this out, Jo. Don't quite know how I came to do that! Embarassed (BTW - I sent you a PM recently, about your email address)

http://www.forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=61074&highlight=#61074

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: