The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Garden Watch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris hall

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Garden Watch Reply with quote

I have a fairly large garden and have put up various boxes. So far this year we have 3 great tit boxes in use, a blackbird in the broken roof of our shed sat on nest and 2 blue tit boxes being used. In one of these I have put a small secuity camera in. I was encouraged by this site over a couple of years and finally did it this year as we have installed security cameras so have the nest cam attached to the same dvr. 6 eggs to date. The image is fairly large and not as good as M&E site but well worth the effort. We also have 2 robins nesting but have suffered problems in that a previous nest with 4 eggs was abandoned with the eggs left on the rim of the nest and one that was under our caravan which we didnt find until we had moved it from storage.

Chris.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your garden!?

Tim
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim1977 wrote:
How big is your garden!?
Tim

I'd be interested to know this too - I think it must be pretty sizeable to support so many boxes!

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put boxes up in my local woods and seen 2 blue tits nesting within 10 metres of each other and in sight of each others box. There was also a great tit nesting another 7/8 metres from one of the boxes!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will also depend on the local food supply - a woodland setting is rather different from a garden.

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Garden watch Reply with quote

Well we have a bungalow which although on a busy Bristol road is surrounded by fields. We have a small paddock which has been used as garden by other owners over the years, short grass and ornamental trees etc. We have let it grow somewhat as its too much to look after but this has aided the local wildlife we think. Wherever there is a tall tree I put a nestbox on it and it seems to work. We do have 2 boxes not being used too.

For instance we have a high level piece of land that is literally above the house and held in place by Gabion crates, wire crates full of very large gravel for those not sure. This is approx 6ft from the kitchen window. Within this a robin has built a nest and this is almost opposite our nestbox with camera, within 15ft.

Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nests All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: