The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

What distance between nest box and feeding station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladysylvie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: What distance between nest box and feeding station Reply with quote

Hello, can anyone tell me what the ideal distance would be between the nest box and feeding staion please?
thanks S
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a flippant response, but it's not meant to be: as far as possible! Birds defend their nest sites, and if they're in a place where a lot of other birds are coming to feed, they could spend a lot of energy doing this and not enough looking after their chicks. Not that many birds would nest close to a feeding station, but there are always some daft ones! Just put it as far away as physically possible within the constraints of your garden; I'd estimate at least 15 metres would be the minimum. My box is about 18m away from the feeding station, has been up for five years, and has only had two nests. I suspect my garden may actually be a bit small to house both a feeding station and a nestbox.
Ladysylvie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh...thank you...got to move my boxes now! they are really close to the feeding table and tree!
No interest shown in them...so I think its safe to move them? maybe next year!! Sad
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are right Kit then I probably need to move both my feeding station and nesting box

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Box 1 is only 8-9m from one of our feeder poles (three hanging feeders on it) and the box has been used every year since 2001.

Maybe if your feeding station is a table that attracts lots of larger birds such as wood pigeons, or a big group of quarrelling starlings, it might be a problem - but I heard once of a blackbird that nested in the roof area of a bird table!

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad this topic came up, as I have quite a small rear garden - only about 15m square - and whilst over many years I have had blue tits ( and coal tits on one occasion) nesting and fledging successfully, since the introduction of a fully equipped feeding station over the last two years the number of birds interested in my boxes has diminished dramatically. In order to keep the feeding station away from fences and hence (in the main) cats and squirrels, I have only about 7m from either of my nest boxes. This now has made me think that I should abandon feeding if I am to have any luck this year with any chance of a breeding pair??!!

Seems so difficult to have to choose over feeding or breeding, but I so love watching and photographing the birds and their young, and feel so privileged when my boxes have been made use of. Now I really dont know what to do.

I have had almost no interest in my boxes this year, but have lots of blue tits, coal, tits, and great tits using my garden to feed - and then fly away Crying or Very sad Should I leave alone or remove the feeders? Am I too late anyway for this season? Would moving things upset any birds that might be considering?

Would be so grateful for any suggestions or help. Thank you.

Sue x
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeding station gets rooks,magpies, a crow once, jackdaws regularly, starlings, feral pigeons wood pigeons occasionally: it sort of majors on the bigger birds.
The nest box has been empty since we arrived five years ago:I definitely thinkk we should move it but in a bigger garden with Leyland hedging I'm not quite sure where to. We do know there is nothing wrong with the box itself, it was used twice when we lived in Burnley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: