The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Thrush and Gull ID's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Thrush and Gull ID's Reply with quote

Picture 1 I think is probably light/angle related however the bird appears to have a black beak and no ear spot. Is it just the light and angle or is it a different bird species.

Picture 2 and 3 I think are Sopng Thrushes. I know the photos are poor, blurry and scrappy but the light was faded and the birds were moving about. The phos were well zoomed. then edited resulting in poor quality and blurryiness but I think they could be Identified.

If they were Song Thrushes I would have a first for me, so please can you tell me how sure you are on their ID. I want to be sure and definate, not having to say possibly.

If you are sure its a Song Thrush (And not a Redwing, which I was mixing it up with), you will make my night!

I'm still not 100% its not a redwing. 4 Fed on the lawn, I don't know if Thrushes group very often.

Please help on my previous post too!
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a redwing, or a fieldfare come to that. It's quite a chunky bird, so mistle thrush would be my best guess but it's very difficult. You need someone who knows their thrushes a bit better, I see them so seldom that I haven't got a 'sense' of them in the way you do with birds you see every day.

And I REFUSE to have anything to do with gulls! Laughing

BedfordshireBirder

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kit"]

And I REFUSE to have anything to do with gulls! Laughing[/quote]

I can certainly understand that!

As for the Thrush, I'm almost 100% sure on thrush, but the species is windng me up. Are their any birders on this forum, slightly more knowledgable on thrshes than you (Not that I'm saying your not knowledge eeming as you've ben on the ball with all my posts). I really need an ID, will a more knowledgable birder come along and give me ID or shall I take it to another bird ID website?
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gull is Larus ridibundus (black-headed gull) in winter plumage, identified by the white and black on the tip of the wing.

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Gull Reply with quote

Gulls are tricky and I woudn't want to say from this picture but don't common gulls have black wing tips, and juvenile herring gull too. Pity they don't walk on water or we could have seen the leg colour.

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentatus & canus do have black wingtips, but they should not have white on here:

Larus
Larus
Poster: Karwin, viewed 77 Time(s)

Head shape and size do not fit with large gulls like argentatus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Help with Bird Identification All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: