The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

A great birding book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: A great birding book Reply with quote

I can strongly recommend the following book: Identifying birds by behaviour (Dominic Couzens, Collins, 0007199236). It is more drawings than text and is not an frightening intellectual tome in any way.

There are some books that you can treasure and this is one of them. It gives years of advice packed around beautiful illustrations. It is a joy, and can be dipped into just for the sheer pleasure of it. I am not sure whether it is a beginners book or not, as it may be a bit over whelming, but I think that if you can afford it it is worth every penny.

I particularly love the warblers section. The waders, ducks and birds of prey are also highlights.

However don't blame me if you don't like it...but you have me to thank if you do!

Pete

P.S. I am not in anyway associated with this publication - inspite of what it may sound like. Smile
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter ..

I've had this book in my collection for a few years now .. and I constantly "dip" into it .. for all sorts of info ..

In fact, it often gives the sort of info I want, which can't be gleaned from many of the more "conventional" Field Guides .. or any of my other "Birding" books ..

As you quite rightly say .. one well worth having on the shelves ... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This behaviour book sounds as though it is just what is needed. I've used the old Collins British Birds book for such info but this is somewhat outdated and, whilst pretty good, is probably superceded by the book you name.
I think a collection of guides is essential to take birding beyond the beginner's phase - a good visual guide, a good behaviour guide and, if such a thing exists, a good [i]and comprehensive[/i] cd guide to bird-song and calls. Any suggestions on the latter ?
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave ...

As a "general" Field Guide .. I'd recommend the current edition of the Collins Bird Guide ... first published in 1999 by Harper Collins and originally priced at 16.99 (now widely available & much cheaper) ... ISBN 0 00 711332 3 (Paperback)

"Birds by Behaviour" concerns itself more with "Jizz" than with feather detail like most Field Guides do ..

As for Bird song .. there are a couple of ways to go .. either by CD, in which case try Collins Bird Songs & Calls by Geoff Sample .. again published by Harper Collins in 1996 .. ISBN 10 0 00 220037 6 (Hardback) & originally priced at 25.00 .. the book comes complete with two audio CD's ...

OR ..... there is this little "gizmo" .... http://www.birdvoice.co.uk/

Not cheap .. but a fantastic bit of kit .. I treated myself to one when they first came out & found it much easier to use than listening to CD's at home .. its small & neat enough to be carried conveniently when out Birding .. however, it's all a matter of personal choice ..

Whichever route you choose .. Good luck ... Wink

PS .. Usual caveat applies .. I have no connection whatsoever with any of the above mentioned products .. other than being a reader/user ...

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - thanks - Yes I use the 'black' Collins field guide - great for pictures etc and that old green and cream Collins book for general info (it's the one organised by bird size with the pictures in two sections - not a great visual guide but not bad for the info - I'll have to get this new behaviour guide though - sounds good.
Had a look at the Bird Vioce Cards and Pen - the gizmo you mentioned - must say it looks great - but it'll have to wait for better funds for now - a new scope is next on the list. I'll look at the CDs though.
Of course we shouldn't really be copying bird songs from our own CDs onto mp3 players for in the field use now should we. (not as useful as that card&pen gizmo mind you).
However it has been suggested that the law could be changed to allow folks to copy music tracks they already own onto their personal players (i.e. mp3 players) - that would be a help. Then we could put our own personal 'trouble' songs onto mp3 to learn and take into the field.
davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked up Bird Songs & Calls by Geoff Sample on Amazon - there are used copies going for 11 upwards and new at 17.50 - Bargains, bargains, bargains, much bargains !!
(PS - no I don't work for Amazon by the way).
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dave .. you're welcome .. Laughing

To be truthful .. I wouldn't know how to even begin to transfer CD's to mp3 .. in fact the only mp3 player I possess is the "Birdvoice" pen ... which of course, came pre-loaded .. Wink

Maybe "Santa" could be persuaded to leave a "Birdvoice" in your stocking ?? ... Pray Pray Roll on the floor laughing

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to babble on but the Bird Behaviour book (and others of course) are available from bird-related sources such as the Wildfowl and Wetland Trust and perhaps buying from such suppliers would be better, therefore providing funds for such wildlife groups.
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev

I've just realised that you've "revived" a thread started by Peter in November 2005!

Since then I started a thread in Other Birding Topics for book suggestions - it's a Sticky meaning that the thread always remains near the top of that section - but here's a quick link

http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3729

I'll add Peter's suggestion - it seems an excellent recommendation, and it will probably be added to my Christmas list! Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth ...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention .. I can't think how that happened .. I simply clicked on "Posts since your last visit" & it appeared, naturally I assumed it to be a recent post & never even thought about checking the date ...

The Gremlins have taken over it would appear ... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Hi Elizabeth ...
Thanks for bringing that to my attention .. I can't think how that happened .. I simply clicked on "Posts since your last visit" & it appeared, naturally I assumed it to be a recent post & never even thought about checking the date ...

The Gremlins have taken over it would appear ... Wink

Bye for now .. Kev ..

Hi again Kev - I don't know how it happened either, but I'm glad it did. Smile

I hope it will alert people to the thread in Other Birding Topics, and encourage them to mention there other books they've found helpful.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah well I'm glad it was revived, looks like a good book, and not quite the 'normal' sort of field guide, I think I'm gonna order it! Very Happy

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
mona88

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thx for all the information about birding books. I'm a beginner and hope to learn more here.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is often adviced that beginners should buy books with less species in them. When I started birdwatching as a kid, I wanted me a book with at least all European species. If the book has distribution maps, even a kid kan skip the species that don't occur in my area.

Like Peter started in this discussion, pictures are a main thing in any identification guides.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone - I'm still here Very Happy

Karwin is correct about buying a limited spp book as a beginner - I am not sure if this is the case here though. A very basic book for the UK is Bill Oddie's Birds of Britain & Ireland (ISBN 1853684880). I really like the images and text, but for anyone extending their reach into more unusual birds then the Collins Bird Guide is a wonderful book in every way ISBN 9780007267262.

I had not realised until now that the Identifying Birds book was written by the famous and expert Dominic Couzens. When I bought it I just liked the look of it without knowing the author.

When I was young I craved a book like this and imagined writing one myself...I even told my Mum (she thought that it was a great idea). Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: