The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Caged bird feeder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Caged bird feeder Reply with quote

I thought I share this info that many seem to require
Cheers
Angelo

http://www.gardenbird.co.uk/Caged-Worm-Feeder/Bird-Food/40-57-1501,default,pd.html
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two like this - but 4 years ago I had to do some modifications! There's quite a long thread about it her:

http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=36188

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic ! I thought I was the only one having these kind of problems.
I have reduced the three or four bigger holes in mine and everything seems ok at the moment. I love sparrows but I'm afraid I have a lots around here and they finish the mealworms in minutes, just like the starlings so I have to keep them out. Unfortunatley the Robin is the same size as the sparrows so he misses out as well. Crying or Very sad
What can I do ? I have to make a decision and stick to it.
Only the blue tits manage to enter the cage
Mind you I do put out a few biscuits for the others. Wink
Angelo

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: looks familiar ? Reply with quote

cagedfeeder
cagedfeeder
Poster: Angelo, viewed 69 Time(s)
Angelo

italy.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to get three of these cause I went away for a week end in Italy. I inserted bigger containers in them and I filled them with one pound of regular mealworms that just lasted for the 4 days ! The joy of finding the ten chicks well and healthy when I arrived back was enormous

ten
ten
Poster: Angelo, viewed 46 Time(s)
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering do tits still use these feeders when they are placed on a bird table? Or do they prefer them to be hanging? I have got some 28mm plates to cover the holes, so before i put them on iam trying to figure out the best way to use it. Also if any1 has any advice of making a hole smaller but big enough so the robins can use it, that would be great
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of these caged feeders. One is on a shelf right outside the study window, near where I sit - i just have to turn my head to watch it. while i am looking at my screen, I'm often aware of some movement - and usually it's a robin, keeping an eye on me! I think the bluetits are more wary, and tend to fly up into the nearby shrub when I move.

The other feeder is on a wheelie bin that we can see from the kitchen window. I reduced the height of the holes a long time ago (when a starling managed to squeeze in) by wiring pieces of Meccano across the top of some holes, and closing off the others completely with a few strands of wire.

You can read about the starling and the cage here:
http://www.forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=36268

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the blue tits still use them but are more wary. This shouldnt be too much of a problem, my cage feeder is down the bottom of the garden. So not much chance of people scaring them off
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only my presence by the study window that makes the bluetits wary - they use the cage on the wheelie bin with no hesitation at all, even when I'm at the kitchen sink!

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think its the same with nest boxes? The reason i ask is, my nest box is above my door and below a window. Not had any birds nesting the past two years. Maybe they are too wary because of its position?
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF ITS IN FULL SUNLIGHT for most of the day ....... this would be a reason ..
too hot for chicks ..... (in nest box)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seb-mac wrote:
Do you think its the same with nest boxes? The reason i ask is, my nest box is above my door and below a window. Not had any birds nesting the past two years. Maybe they are too wary because of its position?

I feel that a nest box above a door is not in a good position - too much disturbance. This site might help you: http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx

I have read elsewhere that a box should face between north and southeast, through east - though as the RSPB say, it also depends on what shade is available from trees and buildings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: