The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

trees and shrubs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annw1964

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: trees and shrubs Reply with quote

please can anyone give me ideas,i have moved house to Selby and taken all my feeders with me my garden has got a holly bush and a few plants around the border.I Havn't Had one bird in my garden since i moved 7 weeks ago.I Need ideas of what shrubs and small trees i need to plant to give them shelter and food.I am so upset that i have hardly seen any birds out here so i don't know what chance i have at getting them in my garden... Regards Ann
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ann, and welcome to the Forum. If the birds in your area are not used to finding food in your garden, it may take them some while to realise how lucky they are! These things do take time, and our garden is unusually quiet right now. We find that pyracanthas are popular ( the red berried types, orange berries tend to be ignored). Blackbirds love Berberis Darwinii berries - and you get a lovely display when the shrubs flower in the spring. These sites may give you some ideas:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/wildlife-friendly_garden.aspx

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/home-garden/garden-advice/planting-for-birds.html

Remember to provide fresh water regularly too. You don't need a fancy bird bath - our birds seem quite happy with a couple of large plastic plant pot saucers, though the pond is a great attraction too.

Good luck - if there are birds in the neighbourhood they should find you before too long.

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: trees and shrubs Reply with quote

thank you so much for the info ...Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: