The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Help/ Advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Help/ Advice please Reply with quote

My garden used to see quite a few different birds back in June - fledgling blackbirds, blue tit and sparrow families - but now I only have a solitary dunnock, a robin, seemingly the same wood pigeon and a pair of collared doves, plus the odd jackdaw or magpie. These do visit on a daily basis, though.

When there were many small visitors, I had no feeders or food out as I had just moved and was too busy. Since around mid-August, I've had 3 hanging feeders out and place food on the ground around the garden too, on a paved area as well as under the hedge. This consists of sunflower hearts, a general mixed seed with black sunflower seeds, some cheese (I read that robins like it) and moistened bread. However, I now only really see large ground feeders. I've tried moving the feeders onto the ground so that the birds realise there is food to be had, but the wood pigeon emptied the seed feeder so I hung them up again after 2 days.

I will be getting a table (once I start my new job!) and will then provide water hanging from that, I've tried putting it out in containers but I think they are a little too big (about 3 inches high) even with just a few mm's of water.

I have taken a few photos and would like to ask for any advice that might help attract more birds back to the garden, especially those which would use the feeders. As you can see in the photos, the feeders aren't exactly conspicuous - I thought it would be a good place for them as the blue tits were climbing all over the plants on the fence.

I thought my garden, although small, would be a good place for birds as it has good hedge cover and is relatively open.

Any tips or pointers are welcome, as I've never had the chance to create a bird-friendly garden until now. I know what they need, but just wonder if I am doing something wrong, other than being impatient!
Garden 1
Garden 1
Poster: starseven, viewed 90 Time(s)

Garden 2
Garden 2
Poster: starseven, viewed 50 Time(s)

Garden 3
Garden 3
Poster: starseven, viewed 58 Time(s)
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Starseven, what a delightful small garden, quite secluded with a nice thick hedge, just what the birds will like.

You might like to invest in one of the metal pole feeders from which you can hang feeders and suet balls etc. If you have cats in your area the hedge would be a good place for them to hid so if I was you I would get a raised bird bath although they can be quite pricey. I actually bought one two weeks and the birds have already using it.

I found sun flower hearts in a feeder brings in a variety of birds, mainly finches, tits and sparrows. Earlier in the year I had a family of blackbirds but they seem to have moved on, but there is plenty of natural food around and I expect they will be back as soon as the weather turns colder; this week the robin is back so I am sure the others will follow soon.

Good luck with your new garden and may your birds be plenty!!!

Joan Laughing
starseven

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Joan,

I did consider a feeding station but thought i would prefer a table. Maybe it might be better to take the feeders off the fence (or maybe buy some more) and put them on a pole like you say.

I'd like a proper birdbath but they are a bit expensive. Plus, next door have a large standing bath (but they don't put out food!) and I don't want to take up the little space we do have. I might reconsider though. We do have a cat but his time outside is limited to when we are around, and even then he rarely goes out. There are other cats though, so I might look at something big rather than a bath which hangs from a table.

What style of bath do you have? Does it have a pump or do you need to clean it etc yourself?

I had 2 young male blackbirds in my garden in summer, one had half of his upper beak missing, but they haven't been seen in a while. Got to be a good thing if there is plenty of food, I will be around in winter when they're hungrier!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: