The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Birds Flying into our windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minijoan

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Birds Flying into our windows Reply with quote

This year we have had a huge increase of birds flying into our patio door windows. So far we haven't had a fatality, but several have been badly stunned and yesterday a sparrow took over an hour before it came round enough to shakes it's head and fly away.

I can't understand why it should be worse this year than any other year;
A few weeks ago I read an advert in a magazine selling shapes which could be stuck on windows to stop this happeneding; it said the shape couldn't be seen my humans only birds. at the time the problem had only just started andI put the mag in the recycle bin (which was taken last week) and can't remember the name of the company.

Does anyone else have this problem. The odd one or two birds wouldn't worry me but this is happening at least three times a day.
p200hal

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have more birds then usual flying into the patio doors, and like yourself I have had no casualties, I have noticed that they are all young birds, and hopefully they will get wise to fact that the trees they are seeing are the reflection of the trees behind them, I have vertical blinds open enough to see the birds feeding , that appears to help.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some suggestions here about window strikes:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/watchingbirds/behaviour/birds_and_windows/index.aspx

The RSPB sell stickers for the outside of windows, but they are not the shape they suggest - and seem rather expensive to me!

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdAccessories/Swallow_window_stickers.htm

Perhaps you could make your own hawk silhouettes and stick them on the windows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: