The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Best Spot of the Week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! My best-of-the-week: Luscinia megarhynchos, a Finn-lifer (I first time heard this 2003 in Italy). Here's a document:
http://soundcloud.com/beta5/luscinia-megarhynchos
L. luscinia I got as a lifer in 1979 two kilometres away. Now it is a common all around southern Finland.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for that "web-reference" ... Karwin ... just great to hear the Nightingale ...... Smile

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Best spot of the week Reply with quote

My local list is growing little by little: added Stock dove to the list last night, a pair of them in a field used for grazing horses roaming among bulbous buttercups and I don't know what else...evening light and they appeared to be a more or less uniform slate grey with just a suspicion of a lighter strip along the edge of the wings: very similar in size to wood pigeons...but with out the white markings. Have seen one in France where midday sun illuminated it and there was the same purplish chest that a wood pigeon has. This purplish tint was also there on my only other English sightings on reserves.

Last edited by JohnD on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this can go for this week's best: I found a bird species new to Finland - Otus scops:
http://soundcloud.com/beta5/mysteryvoice-h-meenlinna
Cool

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Scops Owl Reply with quote

Wow.....according to my reference that is way outside its normal range but h ave listened to the recording and the "single note repeated every three seconds" (timed it and not quite) seems to be absolutely spot on..
Congratulations.
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Scops Owl Reply with quote

Thankyou for the recording Karwin ... good to actually hear it ... its such a very small owl ........ Smile

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scops has now been one week under heavy observation, 850 twitchers this far. Luckily they behave well, as does the owl, too, appearing on "stage" between 0 & 1 am. It hoots in local garden, and the people living there had noticed strange nocturnal voice in the beginning of June - but thought, that it was Glaucidium passerinum (pygmy owl), a rather common bird here.

Last edited by Karwin on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
roditweet

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ongoing "Spot" ...since last Monday... here .... is a "Racing Pigeon".... it has a metal ring on left leg ..... such a Bonnie Bird ... hope it survives...... it perches a lot on roof opposite my living room windows ... so have a good view...of it. It has pale grey wings with 2 dark bars on each wing .... tail and underparts white... breast looks like maroon, tummy slightly darker grey ..so is neck and head. Looked it up in "RSPB Pocket Birds".. where it looks mostly like a Rock Dove.. crossed with a Feral Pigeon. Have been tossing poultry mix in the gdn below its perch .... where there are bird feeders, which 3 collared Doves visit. Mon night it spent on the roof ... no wind that night ..since then it has disappeared at night ... returning in the am.... to the same spot ... flies off to "somewhere"?? for hours , then returns... noticed yesterday, a collared Dove... sitting alone in the same spot... so hope they strike up a friendship! Just hope it is finding enough food and NOT spotted by the Sparrowhawk. Such a pretty bird .. especially when flying.. and all the white is visible.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the garden and surrounding area being overwhelmed with young birds of all kinds in a feeding frenzy, the best spot I have had in the last few weeks was today when I was at work, I was going across the field in the tractor, I was moving at just above walking pace, when I spotted a feather very slowly and gently moving ever so slightly on the wind, Embarassed call that a best spot? I hear you ask.
well the best spot was that said feather being snapped out of the air by a pied wagtail, whoosh like a Swallow picking a fly of the wing, I have never seen the likes before, I can only think Idea that the Wagtail thought the feather was a Dragon fly Confused or some big bug, as the feather was as big as the wagtail itself. Go on Indulge me Rolling Eyes

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great weekend Very Happy , I was helping my Local ringing group and got to see up close Sedge and willow warblers, Wren and robin mostly all Juvenile, I also heard my first ever Water rail, Boy that would be scary in the dark if you donít know what the noise was, It was like a sound effect from the Deliverance movie. Scream like a pig boy! Pig

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have a go at ringing birds! Well, to watch, anyway, I'd be too afraid of hurting the bird to actually do it myself.

I've never heard, or even heard of, the sound the water rail makes, so I decided to have a listen at some recordings. There is even one labelled 'pig scream' on Xeno Canto, and it is very weird! The recordings are here:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/XCspeciesprofiles.php?species_nr2=5445.00

Some of them are quite hard to hear because of the sound of water, but you can make out the strange song on some of them.

p200hal

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just contact your local ringing group, the BTO web site should be able to give you the nearest club, and there might be a CES = Constant effort site near you, which is an area where a group of ringers use mist nets to catch birds between certain times of the year, its and early rise but worth it. Cool

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: feather on the wing Reply with quote

No you didn't imagine it and you sound as baffled as I was but I saw the self same event the other day, a feather floating in the air and taken by a Pied on the wing....very odd....and I noted it and then forgot it again. Rather distracted by events at the pond which rose about eight inches in the week and totally flooded the whole are of pond flat and the moorhens nest rock island..
My spot of the week has to be the nine mallard ducklings on the pond the other night: sadly only two in evidence today....I've been woorrying for some time about the safety of the moorhens chicks but at least four of those five do survive, despite the disruption of the nest and the subsequent flooding of the rebuilt nest. There is a semi resident heron and apparently a fox killed ten chickens last week in the field adjacent to the pond so that is two possible explanations...
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Mallard moorhen update. Reply with quote

Tonight it got dark early and there was little light by the time I arrived at the pond but, I counted five ducklings....and they were with a duck ....at least three of them were....so its just possible that when I saw two they were the precocious two of the survivors wh ilst theother three were on nest with mother somewhere....no idea if that is what they do....the moorhen chicks certainly stay on nest for some time after they are able to get out and about independently so when I saw one chick with the wandering parent tonight the possibility that the other three were with the nest bird was encouraging.
p200hal

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of June I spotted a Goosander with 11 chicks Shocked and thought she will be lucky to have half of them by mid July Crying or Very sad , I spotted her again in the same area last week and she had 9 well healthy young, Hal thinks that's a result. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: