The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Long Tailed Tits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rachell

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Long Tailed Tits Reply with quote

Hi all, for the first time ever I had a huge family of about 15/20 long tail tits, they were buuzzing about taking the bird fat pellets that i have recently purchased for the 1st time to attract my Robin more, does anyone have any ideas on what is their fave food??

They are absolutley beautiful!!

Rachell Very Happy

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to BirdGuides, their natural food is: Small insects and spiders! Laughing

However, it seems as though you are already offering the sort of food they like - these LTTs are feasting on one of my home made suet blcoks.

Long tailed tits
Long tailed tits
Poster: Strixaluco, viewed 101 Time(s)

Unfortunately we haven't seen them in these numbers for a long time now.

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine also like suet/fat blocks, but they also spend ages flitting about the conifers, presumably searching for insects. I think you can also buy dried insects, but I'm not sure how popular they would be with LTTs, perhaps your Robin might like them though!! Smile

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too love the fat but they also spend a while on the Sunflower Hearts! Lucky you to have such a lovely flock Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
paradise flycatcher

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them once in a blue moon and they always go for the fat balls.

Debbie

Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Long Tailed Tits Reply with quote

My Long taileds love my fruit trees, and the fat balls, but also seem to like sunflower hearts and niger seeds in the tubes.
I have taken to putting the suet with mealworms into a nut feeding tube, this is becoming interesting to watch, all the tit family love them, and even the sparrows have taken to this way of feeding, very interesting! Surprised

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine texed me the other day, he's not into birds (yet!!!), but he saw in a tree out of his window 3 LTTs. He texted me to ask me if they'll be warm enough Very Happy How cute!!! I've encouraged him to get a fat ball feeder, so soon he'll be hooked like the rest of us!!!

Debbie

Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Suet with mealworms Reply with quote

The feeder for nuts, where I put this stuff was covered in LTTS within ten minutes, not to mention the rest of the tit family, but sparrows and nuthatch decided this was decent fodder! I only see them at weekends as it is dark when I go to work and dark when I return, but a joy to see, when I can!

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky people. I've been praying to get Long Tailed Tits in our garden for years. I'm extremely envious. Very Happy
My dear old mother gets them in her garden every day through out the winter. We feed just about everything that you can and have planted lots of trees over the years. We've havent had any luck so far but I'm convinced that one day I'm going to look out of the window and they are going to be there. I can but hope. Laughing

wales.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had many around a few weeks ago again they love the fat balls Laughing

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: gone for the summer Reply with quote

During the winter months we had regular visits from a flock of long tailed tits, a bit of a job to count them but 20/25 at least, but since the begining of April they have stopped coming. They did seem to feed, although I can remember one or two went to the suet feeder, but the majority just flitted around our small cherry tree. I don't know why they only come in the winter perhaps someone knows the answer to that? Does anyone know what they like to eat so I can incourage them back?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: