The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

What to do with injured birds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scribe

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: What to do with injured birds? Reply with quote

We all find injured birds, the types listed below, what can we do with them, esp when RSPCA are miles away.

1. slight stunning due to hitting window.

2. slight injury with small amount of bleeding.

3. more serious with broken wing, leg etc, bird obviously in pain!

1 and 2 I put in a box with tissue and allow recovery.

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Little Auk on Cleethorpes beach I managed to keep the dog at bay while I wrapped it in my fleece and carried it home I took it straight to the vets who tried feeding it ect but the poor thing was just to weak my consolation was it died at the vets rather than being pecked by gulls or shaken by a dog life can be hard at times Jeannette
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the RSPCA, there is rumour that their new policy (because of lack of funds due to the credit crunch) is to euthanise all wildlife taken to them or picked up by them; I hope that isn't true.
Posey

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Injured birds Reply with quote

I put any slightly concussed birds beneath a shrub in sight of the window. It hides them from predators - magpies etc., keeps them out of the sun, or rain and they usually recover and fly off after ten or so minutes.

A black bird who somehow managed to break his leg has survived through this terrible winter, partly because of the currants and raisins I have been throwing to him no doubt. He is quite tame now, will let me stand quite close. He flies very well but of course can't perch easily.
Posey

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wrote too soon. Shortly after that post he seemed to disappear.

I saw a hawk chasing a black bird, thought it was him, but he was seen days later so it wasn't.
I think the hawk must have got him in the end though.

So few blackbirds remaining in the garden. A few months ago I saw there were fifteen by the kitchen window, pecking around, with the occasional argument, now there is one. A very nervous single black bird.

No idea how long before the hawk takes this one as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Top Tips for Birders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: