The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Can you do a mallard count?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Can you do a mallard count? Reply with quote

Mallard seems to be about the only duck that I see locally and I am aware of at least half a dozen locations where they are to be found within five miles of home..
One of the striking things about them is the disparity in numbers between ducks and drakes. I know this is not totally peculiar to my area but I would be interested to see the result of counts from other parts of the country...so duck lovers everywhere, if you have sufficient fingers on your hand, how about doing some counting .....and letting me know where the count was made...and the outcome, how many Mallard in the group and how many of them are female...not too difficult now that the drakes are coming out of eclipse. If possible an OS Grid Reference would be great.
Thankyou.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: