The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

South Stack July 13th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnD

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: South Stack July 13th Reply with quote

After a previous winter visit when the weather was totally foul I had been looking forward to a return visit for months.
The Choughs were there again above the cliff top near Ellin's Tower and on a rocky ledge to the right of the track that leads to the lighthouse. I should have pointed my camera and shot away but having seconds earlier concluded a conversation with someone who had never seen a Chough, I turned to call him back, and then they were gone...
The tower, closed on my previous visit, was disappointing. The observation area was quite small and there seemed to be enough staff there to fill the whole area,with a couple of other visitors it was very claustrophobic, so although there were lots of birds on view we didn't stay.
I went on my own to the lighthouse...and on the way looked back to a cliff face where there were some dozens of birds. Guillemots and Razor bills in the main with some odd Puffins. Someone in an RSPB sweatshirt pronounced that on Saturday there had been hundreds and hundreds there, but they had all gone.
Bird life on the island around the lighthouse was mainly lesser black back gulls but there were lots of them and some intimate exchanges occurred....eye ball to eyeball, and on the inaccessible rock faces there were lots of Herring gulls and some Fulmars..
The gate man on the bridge was a wonder though I only discovered this on the way back. He was clearly a birding enthusiast and a very useful time was had talking to him.
The days total included Chough, Stonechat, Guillemot,Puffin, Razor bill and Fulmar. I'm sure there would have been more if the Tower had been a better experience.
Pictures to follow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: