The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bitterns ago-go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Bitterns ago-go Reply with quote

Today's Somerset Level's visit was a corker...I walked 100yds from the car park, lifted my new bins to test them on a flying heron, and it turned out to be a bittern! The bird showed itself again flying low over the reeds.

Thousands of swifts and some swallows were hawking over the water, obviously finding the insects low down - probably struggling a bit.

Noah's hide gave me great views of 6+ hobbies and six whimbrels, plus warblers, gc grebes etcs. but I got really cold.

Walked back to car to warm up, then thought that I would cross road to the next area (Ham Wall NR) just in case there was something special around before I went home.

An old guy approached me and asked if I knew the area and what was about...I was able to turn round and point out a marsh harrier being mobbed by crows!

Wandered back and then saw another bittern (had already heard it booming). Waited a further along and it rose from the reeds like a phoenix.

Here are the rather dodgy photos to prove the above:

Bittern
Bittern
Poster: Peter, viewed 67 Time(s)

Bittern
Bittern
Poster: Peter, viewed 60 Time(s)

Harrier
Harrier
Poster: Peter, viewed 62 Time(s)

Harrier
Harrier
Poster: Peter, viewed 56 Time(s)

Harrier
Harrier
Poster: Peter, viewed 82 Time(s)

Swift
Swift
Poster: Peter, viewed 60 Time(s)

Oh...and this is a local celeb who loves the birds...I think that he knew that I was taking his picture! Smile

Terrier
Terrier
Poster: Peter, viewed 66 Time(s)

Last edited by Peter on Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant, Peter, I've never seen a bittern. I bet it was a bit draughty out there yesterday, though! Very Happy
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - I'm so envious, we must get to the Levels this year! We'll be in Cornwall in July (with gasteropod and family) so perhaps we could have a few days to visit Slimbridge and the Levels on the way home. Smile

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
Peter - I'm so envious, we must get to the Levels this year! We'll be in Cornwall in July (with gasteropod and family) so perhaps we could have a few days to visit Slimbridge and the Levels on the way home. Smile

If you do go, email me and I will give the hot-spots that I know about.
Peter

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
That's brilliant, Peter, I've never seen a bittern. I bet it was a bit draughty out there yesterday, though! Very Happy

Very brrr - someone referred to the weather as !wintery" - saying how unusal it was to hear screaming swifts in winter... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: