The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hanger pole or bird table?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Hanger pole or bird table? Reply with quote

What is the best?
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanger pole or bird table? Reply with quote

seb-mac wrote:
What is the best?

It depends on what birds are you hoping to attract. Smile

We have two feeder poles with hanging feeders containing sunflower hearts, black sunflower seed, peanuts (on one) niger seed (on one, and not used much). We also have a bird table where I offer a dish of fat mix and another with mixed seed. All these are fitted with baffles to keep the squirrels away.

We also have a caged feeder holding a home made fat block, and two caged feeders for mealworms. These are to reserve the food for smaller birds - blue, great and coal tits, robins, nuthatches and wrens.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have problems with pigeon or starling numbers I'd say a pole is best, because hanging feeders are much harder for them to access. There'd be no point in having a bird table here, as the starlings and pigeons would clear it in seconds! We can't have a ground feeder cage because there are so many cats birds won't, on the whole, feed from the ground in my garden (there's sometimes an exception with a single blackbird, but the small birds won't go near it at all).

It really depends on your situation I'd say try out all options using the cheapest solutions possible (such as just putting a tray of food on a wall or a box first instead of buying a bird table), and then invest in decent kit once it's clear which is best for you. Good luck!

seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a few wood pidgeons and also magpies. So probly be best with a hanger. We have lots of black birds and i dont want them to miss out. But if we put any on the ground the pidgeons are down 1st. Where's do you buy all the food from Elizabeth?
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always make the most of the birds' way of feeding pigeons will just potter about and eat anything they find (regardless of whether or not it's on the food chain!) whereas blackbirds will actually look for things. You can 'train' blackbirds to search for hidden food, by observing where they're scratching about of their own accord and then starting to hide food under the closest bit of greenery. They cotton on very quickly, and you can then hide the food right under the overhanging plants so that other birds can't see it. Blackbirds tend to start feeding very early in the morning, before other birds, so putting out food last thing at night is another way to make sure they don't miss out.

The other way to go about it, if the pigeons discover your blackbirds' caches, is distraction feeding. Pigeons like corn and bread; if you put some of this out in one part of the garden and hide the blackbirds' food somewhere else, you might be able to come to a compromise.

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seb-mac wrote:
Where's do you buy all the food from Elizabeth?

I buy sunflower hearts (25kg) and black sunflower seed (15kg) from a local animal foods supplier. I always buy peanuts that are guaranteed "safe nuts"( ie Aflotoxin free) from a local garden centre (10kg).

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far should a feeder be away from a nest box? I know there is probly not a set distance, but how far would you recommend? Just curious, thanks
seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone... Please
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to say, really, it depends entirely on the layout of the garden. Mine's 10 metres away from the nest box and doesn't seem to deter the birds from nesting. However, if it were round a corner, you could probably get away with less than that. Other than that I can't say, it's just a matter of common sense and trying to put as much distance as you can manage, depending on the layout of your garden.

Hope that's vaguely useful, anyway! Very Happy Good luck with your box.

seb-mac

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kit,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Food and Feeders All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: