The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Non native pond plant initiative- please read

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dampflippers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Non native pond plant initiative- please read Reply with quote

I don't know whether you heard on the news this morning, but there is a new initiative by the government on non native pond plants.
They are highlighting how fast they grow, and what damage they can cause if they "escape" into natural waterways and ponds.
Please everyone, read about it here:
http://beplantwise.direct.gov.uk/index.html
They advise you never to dispose of them in the wild, and to compost them if you thin out your own pond so they are not spread.
Also if they are in your pond, never dispose of water pumped out of your pond into the drainage system as some species can grow from a tiny fragment which will grow in the sewage tratment works and can spread from there.

Sermon over...read the article!
They also tell you never to give away non native pond plants.

ps they don't say you "have to" remove existing plants from your own garden pond, just beware they don't "escape".
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it can be spread by frogs or birds in which case would it be better to compost/destroy it rather than risk it
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to watch the video (my internet connection's gone a bit slow for the last few days), but it's a timely warning anyway. These invasive species can create absolute havoc in natural environments. I don't have a pond, but I hope those who do have them take heed thanks for posting about it.
BleuJam

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the the news, and although I think this is a good thing, they must be fighting a losing battle. There are lots of none native plants / animals that have taken now in the UK a the detriment of our own wildlife :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: