The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Mushroom or toadstool?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Mushroom or toadstool? Reply with quote

This is the question I asked myself when I saw this rather large specimen near the back door (the 20p piece gives an idea of the size) :

Mushroom or toadstool?
Mushroom or toadstool?
Poster: Strixaluco, viewed 53 Time(s)

As usual I started Googling and here is the answer on one of the many sites that came up:

"There is no scientific difference between a mushroom and a toadstool; an edible fungus is usually referred to as a mushroom, whereas an inedible one is usually referred to as a toadstool. As with so many aspects of the study of these amazing organisms, however, even this is not always the case".

Further details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/articles/2006/04/11/stephen_dean_fungi_forage_feature.shtml

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that this is a parasol mushroom. If I am right then it is edible. It should smell of warm milk (!). Can be confused with a smaller and poisonous dapperling. If over 12cm then you are okay apparently. However even parasol does not agree with everyone...you have been warned.

I know that you know this but for anyone else: NEVER consume a mushroom unless you are absolutely sure of its identity and that it is edible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Nature Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: