The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

The non-clinical garden to attract wildlife

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Neep

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: The non-clinical garden to attract wildlife Reply with quote

Elizabeth wrote:
Quote:
I have a neighbour who has a lovely garden, with lots of colourful patio pots all over the place - when I commented on how attractive it looked compared with ours, she made a lovely remark - "The birds are the flowers of your garden"!

It got me to thinking..... my garden is what I would call "non-clinical". In fact, there are parts that are positive jungle, where humans could not go. I like it that way, because I have the opinion that there's more to attracting birds and wildlife than just providing a food supply.

To hold them in the garden they need somewhere to play!

Here is one corner, beside the car port...

There are several areas like this, but this is the smallest. just 5 yards x 2 yards.

Getting in close:

It is (intentionally) designed to be like a forest floor. Dead leaves, ground ivy, twigs and so on. The birds really love playing in here. (The bird food is less and 12" from here).

and this is another border, the other side of the garden.

Sure... we have pretty (for human) parts of the garden, which isn't that large overall! But there are plenty of places for the birds to play

Rod
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my sort of garden, Rod! Mine's just grass I must get someone in to plant some shrubs for me when I've got a bit of spare dosh (I'm disabled and can't do the digging meself). I'd like to offer a bit more cover for the birds, and some greenery to attract insects and the like yours is exactly how I would have it if I could choose! I don't really like gardens or gardening, but I do want to provide a good space for the birds.
Rod Neep

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitty....

The best source of shrubs is to get cuttings from other people. You take a walk down the road and talk to people about their gardens (they like that).... and "I love that shrub... can I take a little cutting please?" The approach always works!

The amount of grass in my garden has shrunk over the years as the borders have been planted. Less to cut! One of the points that most people mention when they see my garden is that it has no bare soil. (Well, actually it does, but it is deep in the borders under the leaves and twigs).

This photo is the opposite view to the top one above.

You can see the cob nut tree on the right, an beside it to the right is a sycamore, both of which I planted from seed. There are five shrubs in the centre all from cuttings, and including a holly at the very centre of the group to provide some evergreen. I found that holly as a 2" high sapling a few years ago.

Everything in the dense border on the left was grown from cuttings. That border is about 6ft deep, with the garden wall at the back, and beyond that, quite a busy road, which I can no longer see. It cost nothing! Furthermore, its all less than 10 years old!

Here's a view pointing a little more to the left.

Its busy. Its "untidy". But it is "cottagey" and I love it. All these photos on the page were taken last weekend, and even at this time of year it is really satisfying. Furthermore it is really low maintenance!

And full of birds. Today I have seen two pairs of blackbirds, a dunnock, wood pidgeons, a pair of collared doves (who live here all year round), jackaws, three pairs of bluetits, and a whole bunch of house sparrows who spend much of their time in the shrubs on the left chattering and squabling at each other.

This is the reverse view of the last photo above, looking back at the house. Cluttered and untidy... well sort of. Except for the house, nothing that you see was here three years ago! Its all new. Designed to be "cluttered".

A path beside the lower pond made of old bricks on earth, even the barbque is made of the same old bricks (with no mortar), lots of tubs and pots and a stone slab patio where I spend a lot of my time at the table... just thinking about the meaning of life and watching the birds.

I love it!
And so do the birds Wink

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: