The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Trees +1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsphil

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Trees +1 Reply with quote

I thought it would be nice to have the number of trees in Cookstown go up rather than down for once... so:

Phil's New Tree!
Phil's New Tree!
Poster: fsphil, viewed 75 Time(s)

This single tree doesn't make up for the hundreds destroyed, but it's my tree and I can guarantee it won't be removed to make way for houses or a shopping centre Smile

Excuse the mess, I haven't removed the rubble yet. The house sparrows love exploring it so it's not all bad Wink

Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind is it?

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corinna wrote:
What kind is it?

I was about to ask this - could it be some sort of maple???

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a maple .. or Acer platanoides Drummondii to give it its proper name Smile
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: prunus Reply with quote

I planted a Prunus Okumiyako in my front garden a couple of years ago. Very Happy

This tiny tree hardly compensated for the huge ones which had been chopped down in the opposite garden. Sad

But it's been fun watching this baby tree grow and spread its arms. Smile

And the sparrows find lots of perches in the branches. Smile

The blossom in springtime is stunning. Very Happy

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsphil wrote:
It's a maple .. or Acer platanoides Drummondii to give it its proper name Smile

Great choice Phil Very Happy

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: handsome tree Reply with quote

I've had a chance to look up details of Phil's pretty tree. Often called the Norway Maple.

The leaf shape is interesting,with creamy-white edged leaves turning orange in autumn.

I reckon the birds will approve Laughing

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Trees in gardens Reply with quote

It's great to see you folks planting trees in your gardens - it's so worthwhile. When we moved to our current house 4 years ago there were no trees or shrubs other than a rather nice (3' thick) holly/privet/hawthorn hedge in the front garden. This hedge is the day-to-day home of a flock of sparrows (who nest in the roof) and has been home to nesting blackbirds (3 broods this year) and to a robin.
However we now have a holly standard in the hedge (we left one good stem to grow); an elder in the corner of the front garden (I cannot overstate how good these maligned shrubs are - they attract a good range of wildlife, produce excellent flowers and berries and are as easy as buddleia to manage); a silver birch (also in the front garden); a good-sized lavatera in the driveway alongside a large himalyan honeysuckle, another large elder and many raspberries (we leave a patch of these unpikced for the birds, got bullfinches feeding last winter). We also have three maples (snake-bark, japanese and norway) and to good bay bushes, also several climbers (ivy, honeysuckle, small-flowered clematis and virginia creeper).
Many of these are garden species and/or varieties but they all provide good habitat for birds and beasties.
Our front garden is 30' x 20', our back garden is divided into three parts - the driveway (which is grass and gravel and planted at the sides) - the garden itself (c.30' by 15') and the 'bit 'round the back' behind the shed which is maybe 40' x 12'. The garden still has plenty of open space (three lawns and the drive) as well as a decked seating area and room for the car!
Amazing how much you can put in a garden if you fill in the sides and corners (climbers on walls and fences - shrubs or trees in the corners etc)

One word of caution on the trees, though, in 11 years of landscaping I have seen countless trees and shrubs proudly planted against fences and walls - but with no room for expansion - make sure you have enough room for the branches and trunk to grow !

Great going - keep planting !
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: great garden Reply with quote

Great garden, Dave. Very Happy

Can you remember in which months the blackbirds had their 3 broods.
.. and when were the robins and sparrows nesting ?

davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I can't remember exactly when the nesting was but the blackbird's first brood was in late March, the second in late May and the third late July. The Robin had two broods, one in the hedge in late March/Early April and a second in a sparrow terrace on the house wall in late May. The House sparrows have been at it so to speak throughout the year but there have been no youngsters since July.

We also had a brood of Blue Tits in a box in May and two Swallow broods in the shed, the first in June, the sond in late July - all Swallow chicks succesful (4 and 4) but three dead Blue Tit chicks in the box (+ 2 off ok). We have also had young Song Thrush in but not nesting in the garden, as well as young starlings from the farmyard behind us. No Great Tits this year (the Blueys used that box). We have put two open-fronted boxes up this year so we'll see if anything uses them next season.
Finally we get Tree Sparrows in daily outside the nesting season but not a peep during nesting. I'm hoping the sparrow terrace might encourage them for next year - fingers crossed.
fsphil

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Dave,

That is a nice garden!

Good point on the fence. The plan is to keep it branch free below the fence line, letting it spread out just above. Not far from here the local council have done something similar with (I think) the same kind of tree.

davevikingr

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great - I find a tree like yours provides a 'staging' point for the birds - where they can land and survey the site before settling to feed or whatever - as well as being nice in it's own right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: