The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Access

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Access Reply with quote

Hi All .. Laughing

Has anyone else experienced problems accessing the Site in the last couple of days ?

Until earlier this week I'd never had any difficulty .. since then, two or three times I've been unable to "get in" .. My PC tells me that the connection has timed out ..

I have no probs getting into other Sites which I use .. so wonder whether it might be a server problem ??

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a network time-out yesterday trying to access the site, but only once.

There also seems to be a few spammer accounts active too. ("eily" and "ASHLEE JAMES"). Maybe there's a connection?

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: couldn't reach Bigg Bird Reply with quote

Yesterday [ Wednesday 10th Sept. 08 ] in the evening I couldn't reach Bigg Bird. Sad

I got the same timed out message. Sad

I tried on several occasions, and then gave up. Sad

I was getting access to other forums with no trouble. Smile

Accessed BBF straight away this morning [ 11 Sept 08 ] Very Happy

I've had absolutely loads of spam trying to get in.
Only happened last couple of weeks.
Never had this before.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got time out on several occasions yesterday too, don't know if this is to do with spammers. Hope it's not a DOS attack
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response folks ..

I managed to get in briefly last night .. posted this thread .. went to look at something else .. returning to BBF some 15 mins later & was unable to access for the remainder of the evening .. in the end, I gave up & went to bed ... Crying or Very sad

I can't imagine that we're all having pooter probs at the same time .. the odds against that must be nearly impossible to calculate ... Wink

I'm able to access other parts of the Internet without difficulty .. so I'm left with a stronger than ever feeling that this must be down to a server problem at the "remote" end ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: SPAM messages Reply with quote

I get very worried about the SPAM messages. Sad

I'm very careful not to open any. Sad

Scared I might accidentally open one, even though these seem to all be screened and put in my spam folder. Shocked

Any advice from more techy. people gratefully received.
Do I just keep deleting them, or is there more I should be doing? Sad

Thanks Smile

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Martin

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these spams to your home email address from random places ?

probably best to mark as spam and not open them as you say

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ...

If its just "ordinary" Spam .. delete without opening ...

If it appears to come from any Financial organisation .. (Bank, Building Society, "Pay-Pal" etc) .. Never, Never, Ever respond in any way shape or form .. to do so would alert the "Spammer" or "Phisher" that the Account in question is "live" & therefore it becomes much more "interesting" to them ..

Anything purporting to come from a Financial institution is best dealt with by a phone call to the institution concerned ..

The ones allegedly originating from some poor woman in Africa, whose husband's money is somehow "locked" into an Account & asking for the facility to use your Account .. in return for a "reward" .. are part of a well know Nigerian scam (I think,from memory called a 419 Scam .. 419 being that section of the Nigerian Criminal Code covering this particular offence) .. just "Google" .. Met Police+Nigerian Scams for full details ...

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Martin.
The spams seem mostly sent to my private email address which is the one I've used to register with this forum and three other forums. All the forums are not dodgy ones (Sorry - not the right phrase, but you know what I mean) Laughing

Up until about 2 weeks ago I hadn't received any spam at all.

I have 2 more email addresses for other purposes which I use less often.

All the spam messages are from folk with weird sounding names, advertising health products, or items to help romance Exclamation

I'll try to make a note of some of the names.

Kev, I'm not getting any of those overseas ones (yet).
But thanks for describing them.

What happens if you did open a spam?
Does it destroy the insides of your laptop ?

I think this is all relevant to BBF, because if we lose our internet access, we lose contact with wonderful BBF. Yesterday my laptop wouldn't work for several hours and I felt very cut off from forums, etc. Sad

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ..

I'm by no means a Computer "expert" but there are several different kinds of "nasty" which can be "caught" by opening email & or Photos from an unknown source ..

By the sound of things .. the spam you're getting is of the "ordinary" variety .. (You're not being "targeted" personally .. they send millions of these sort of messages out on a daily basis) .. don't open it .. just bin it, where it belongs ..

Whenever you visit any site on the Net, you may notice a small "counter" (usually at the bottom of the home page) .. telling you that you're "Visitor No 3,127" .. all websites collect the number of "hits" they receive .. some of the more unscrupulous also gather info about your IP Address (that is your personal address on the internet) .. this info can be & often is collated into lists & sold .. so that other websites can "target" you ...

For example .. if you Googled "Slug pellets" .. & then visited a website with a good deal for them on offer .. you might notice an increase in spam mail relating to garden products .. because you've shown where your "interest" lies ..

The rule of thumb is .... Never open anything .. unless you're sure where it came from & trust the source ..

Never respond to any email .. if you don't know the sender ..

Make sure your PC/Laptop is adequately protected with a good Anti-Virus programme .. (I use AVG .. and it's FREE) .. Wink

If you use Windows .. ensure that your protection is up to date ...

Whatever you do .. DON'T have sleepless nights .. if by some misfortune you do get a virus .. it can usually be sorted out by a professional ... Laughing

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thanks, Kev.

That explains several things I didn't realise about emailing. Very Happy

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ....

You're more than welcome ... Wink

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2129071/avg-antivirus-free-edition

I've posted a link to AVG .. it works for me ... Laughing

BTW .. I have no connection with this (or any other software company) .. other than being a very satisfied user ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terratoonie wrote:

What happens if you did open a spam?
Does it destroy the insides of your laptop ?

it's impossible for actual physical destruction to occur; the worst that can happen is a virus/trojan could wipe/corrupt your hard drive resulting in loss of your files/photos/music etc. which would require in the worst case a re-format of the hard drive and reinstall of all software and files from the regular backups you make

I think it's ok to open the email to see(check) the content (providing the email software does not allow javascript/activescript etc to be run automatically), if the content looks dodgy don't click on any of it and mark the email as spam or junk asap

I use Thunderbird for my email, AVG for anti-virus, and ZoneAlarm for firewall. All free versions.

terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: thank you Martin Reply with quote

Thanks, Martin. Very Happy

Spam messages seem to be getting more every day Sad

~ mostly with odd-sounding names, and suggestive subjects, and one was called Ecard. I obviously deleted all of them. Shocked

Someone on another forum suggested that folk not familiar with emailing etc go into that Ecard site, and unwittingly pass on email addresses of their friends to spam creators. Sad

I appreciate your help, Martin. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: