The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Bird Guides and other books about birds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Bird Guides and other books about birds Reply with quote

I have now compiled a list of most of our books on these topics:

Bird Guides

Collins Bird Guide - Britain and Europe (Killian Mullarney et al) - ISBN 0-00-711332-3

RSPB Pocket Birds (Jonathan Elphick, John Woodward) - ISBN 0-7513-3678-5

RSPB Guide to British Birds (Peter Holden) - ISBN 0-333-90751-5

Collins Complete British Birds (Paul Sterry) - ISBN 0-00-717229-X

RSPB Handbook of British Birds (Peter Holden and Tim Cleeves) - ISBN 0-7136-5713-8

RSPB Birds of Britain and Europe (Rob Hume) - ISBN 0-7513-1234-7

Collins Field Guide to nests, eggs and nestlings (Harrison and Castell) - ISBN 0-00-713039-2

Other books

The Blue Tit (Jim Flegg) - 0-85263-716-0 (A 24 page booklet from Shire Natural History)
British Tits (Christopher Perrrins) - ISBN 0 00 219537 2

RSPB Birdfeeder Handbook (Robert Burton) - ISBN 0-86318-428-6
(Seems to be out of print, with only a couple available on Amazon, but AbeBooks have quite a few).

Understanding Bird Behaviour (Stephen Moss) - ISBN 1-84330-151-2

The Secret Lives of Garden Birds (Dominic Couzens) - ISBN 0-7136-6616-1

Everything you always wanted to know about birds………but were afraid to ask! (Stephen Moss) - ISBN 0-7136-6815-6

All contributions to this thread will be very welcome!

Last edited by Strixaluco on Sun May 27, 2007 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my favourites are:

Birds Brittanica by Mark Cocker and Richard Maby, ISBN 0701169079
(Not a bird ID guide, just a beautifully produced and illustrated book for bird lovers)

A Bad Birdwatcher's Companion by Simon Barnes, ISBN 1904977375
(Again, not a technical guide, just a amusing protraits of our garden birds)

BIRDMATE

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill oddies little black bird book always a great read!!!

No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.
William Blake

David Gooden
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about photographic guides.

I'd add the Mitchell Beazley The New Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe by Hume and Hayman and the Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and Northwest Europe.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com
joshjenkinsshaw

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: bird books Reply with quote

this birding life, stephen moss

bill oddies gripping yarns

i love both these books , i couldn't put them down.

www.freewebs.com/boughbeechreservoirbirds
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helm Identification Guides Birds Of The West Indies a must for anyone visiting the Caribbean. National Audubon Societies The Sibley Bird Guide for trips to the USA, & Something a bit diffrent Collecting Bird Stamps by Christine E. Jackson.
Snowy.
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
Helm Identification Guides Birds Of The West Indies a must for anyone visiting the Caribbean. National Audubon Societies The Sibley Bird Guide for trips to the USA, & Something a bit diffrent Collecting Bird Stamps by Christine E. Jackson.
Snowy.

for anyone visiting Trinidad & Tobago - it isn't in the west indies as far as birds are concerned.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Snowy.

for anyone visiting Trinidad & Tobago - it isn't in the west indies as far as birds are concerned.

Hi Pete Most of the bird I saw in Trinidad & Tobago were in the West Indies Guide & correct me if I am wrong but here is the logo of the Asa Wright bird reserve quote Asa Wright centre Trinadad West Indies ??? (See Pic)
Pete

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowy wrote:
Pete wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Snowy.

Hi Pete Most of the bird I saw in Trinidad & Tobago were in the West Indies Guide & correct me if I am wrong but here is the logo of the Asa Wright bird reserve quote Asa Wright centre Trinadad West Indies ??? (See Pic)

Hi Snowy

I am not jealous. Oh I am NOT jealous.

yeah you are right it's in the Windies politically and cricket wise Brian Lara

but the birds owe as much to South America though. I think its the only part of the west indies included in the neotropical area which includes argentina, venezuela and brazil and ecuador and peru DROOL

there is a new guide http://www.nhbs.com/birds_of_trinidad_and_tobago_tefno_151625.html

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

Esa

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how many books you have from this side of the pond. But Kingbird Highway is the Kenn Kaufman story. Cheap paperback, recommended.
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esa wrote:
Not sure how many books you have from this side of the pond. But Kingbird Highway is the Kenn Kaufman story. Cheap paperback, recommended.

Now that is a really good book! A great read and not just a list of birds! Very Happy

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just discovered that Peter suggested an excellent book back in 2005, long before this thread was started.
Quote:
I can strongly recommend the following book: Identifying birds by behaviour (Dominic Couzens, Collins, 0007199236). It is more drawings than text and is not an frightening intellectual tome in any way.

His full comment can be read here: http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=45828#45828

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book well worth seeking out is .. "The Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification" by Keith Vinicombe , Alan Harris & the late Laurel Tucker (responsible for most of the artwork, she sadly died of a brain haemorrhage before completing the book) .. Alan Harris completing the artwork ..

Published in 1996 by The Macmillan Press Ltd .. ISBN 0-333-59280-8

This book follows the established Taxonomic "pattern" of most Field Guides .. i.e. it begins with "Divers" etc & ends with "Buntings" ... However, this is where the book differs from many of its kind .. in that it concentrates on "confusion" species ..

With good descriptive text, allied to stunning artwork .. (with hand written captions which highlight the "bullet" points) .. it makes short work of separating for example Willow Tit from Marsh Tit .. and has a superb section on Gulls .. especially helpful for those (like me) who're often mystified by the sheer range of plumage differences ...

Again, this is a book I "dip" into on a regular basis ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Other Birding Topics All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: