The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

slug pellets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Terra ..

Regarding your query about wild birds liking grit .. I've just read an article about Dunnocks by Dominic Couzens in the latest edition of Birdwatching Magazine .. (which I get early on subscription) .. in which he makes the following points ( and I quote)

"Another peculiarity is that accentors, despite their thin bill, have a muscular gizzard for dealing with seeds. In the winter, 90% of their food is vegetable" ...

"Dunnocks are also prodigious eaters of grit, which helps them break down seeds. They may ingest items as large as 2.2mm in diameter, larger than some of their food ! "

So .. there you have it .... Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: gigantic grit ! Reply with quote

Wow, that's very large grit, Kev. Shocked

In old money, that must be bits almost one inch in diameter, or have my maths gone awry. Laughing

No wonder the shingle in my dog run is so popular with the birds. Laughing

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: gigantic grit ! Reply with quote

terratoonie wrote:

Wow, that's very large grit, Kev. Shocked

In old money, that must be bits almost one inch in diameter, or have my maths gone awry. Laughing

No wonder the shingle in my dog run is so popular with the birds. Laughing

I'm afraid you need to go back to school TT!!!! Wink 2.2mm is less than a tenth of an inch!

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: decimal point Reply with quote

It did seem a bit huge.... Shocked

I was looking at the wrong side of my ruler... centimetres ! Shocked

I reckon I was thinking of that golf ball size hail which falls in Texas. Laughing

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't ! - Eleanor Roosevelt
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need a muscular gizzard to swallow Golf balls .... Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kev

May I just correct a couple of things you mentioned...

The red kite reintroduction project began in the Chilterns in 1989 and lasted several years. At the same time, and ongoing project was taking place on the Black Isle, Scotland.

The kites in Gateshead came from the Chilterns. Over a period of three years, we collected kite chicks for translocation to the North East.

The Chilterns hold the largest population of red kites in England. Consequently, we have provided chicks to other locations, including the current project which is Aberdeen, Scotland.

Kev wrote:
Red Kites never totally died out in Wales, it being the last stronghold of the native Birds .. Re-introduction began in the 1960's with young Spanish Birds being brought over & housed on John Paul Getty's estate in Oxfordshire until they were old enough to be released into the Chilterns ...

So well did they do that young from the Chilterns sites were taken & housed on Lord Lascelle's Estate at Harewood House near Leeds & were released into Yorkshire ...

Again another success story in that young "Yorkshire" Birds were taken North to the Gateshead area & released there, where I believe successful breeding has once more taken place ...

There is also a small population in the Rockingham Forest area of Northamptonshire .. though I'm not sure of their history ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helen,

Thanks for correcting errors on my part .. made in good faith ..

I'm pleased you were able to set the record straight ..

We're very fortunate in having "Yorkshire" Kites from the Harewood release scheme nesting & successfully breeding not too far from where I live ..

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, yes, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way, it's just there are so many 'myths' out there about the kites etc.

I'm glad you get to see them, they really are a great sight.

I took care of a large number of kite chicks this year, prior to their translocation to Aberdeen. What a handful!

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: golf-ball sized grit Reply with quote

Hi. Helen, that's a great thing about Bigg Bird. Very Happy

There's always someone there to add more info. or correct any errors. Smile

If you want a laugh, look at my metric conversion error further up this thread. Shocked

My excuse, it was rather late at night when I posted, and I'd just spent over THREE HOURS trying to resize a photo! Very Happy

Golf-ball size grit - I don't think so. Roll on the floor laughing Applause

A good thing Strixaluco is on the alert to spot these things! Very Happy

Helen

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi terratoonie

You don't want to hear of the mistakes I've made (and make!).

Very Happy

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helen,

Certainly not .. I'm more than happy to be corrected when I've got my facts wrong ..

What a rare privilege to be actually involved in the handling of these magnificent birds .. I bet the satisfaction more than compensated for the "handfull" though .. Wink

I was thrilled to be invited along to a Ringing session earlier this year with the Lincs Ringing Group .. I only got to handle Dunnocks, Bull Finches & Redpolls .. (I have some photos somewhere) .. but it was so special to actually have the birds "in hand" ..

The Red Kite & the Drake Smew remain my favourite birds ...

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you are kev,

a pic of one of my fave characters...this bird was approx. 6 weeks old when I took this.

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!

Stunning & not a little "feisty" ... Wink

Long may they continue to prosper .. the more people we can re-educate with images like that & with access to Red Kite projects all over the UK .. the better their chances of survival ..

All we need now is for the Judiciary to re-acquaint themselves with reality & start handing down meaningful sentences for those who persecute Raptors and some lasting progress might be made .. pity we don't have "transportation" as an option any longer ... Wink Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: nice pic Reply with quote

That's a good pic Helen. Very Happy

I knew Kev would like it Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: