The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hair of the Dog
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Hi Terra ...

No, that is the full Motto .. but if you're interested the link below will explain things further ..

And, I'll admit .. I'd never thought about the connection as applied to Birds & Birders .. but you're right .. thanks .. Laughing

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/museumresearch/PDFs/The%20Crest,Colours,Beret,Nicknames%20&%20Prayers%20of%20the%20Royal%20Marines.pdf

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

That's interesting Kev. I've had a read through from the link.
I'm wondering if you know whether any Royal Marines (in addition to yourself Laughing ) have become especially interested in seabirds etc. and maybe even gone on to a career in the care of sea creatures ?
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the excitement of my baby thrushes, I forgot to say that back in June I managed to get a terracotta globe for holding bird bedding........and no, Dawn, I didn't steal it from Strixaluco Laughing

The globe has been hanging full of the sheep's wool with which it was supplied, but no takers. Sad

So today I pushed in some of the hair I had hand-stripped from my Welsh Terrier and, hey presto, sparrows descending on the globe and flying off with their beaks full of bedding !! Very Happy

[/quote]

This past weekend my 12 year old Welsh Terrier won three first prizes at dog shows in Veteran Classes from 3 different judges. I hope these sparrows realise what very high quality bedding they are using ! Laughing
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terratoonie wrote:

This past weekend my 12 year old Welsh Terrier won three first prizes at dog shows in Veteran Classes from 3 different judges. I hope these sparrows realise what very high quality bedding they are using ! Laughing

Not just any old mutt hair hey?

Nice one on the prizes. Coincidence that my sister entered her Miniature Dachsund in her first show this weekend, and won 3 classes Very Happy have you got a pic of your Welsh Terrier? you don't see many of them around!

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Terra ....

I do know of several former Royal Marines who were into Birding ... but not specifically sea birds .. thought you might find the following link of interest though ..

http://www.rnbws.org.uk/about.php

Of course .. I also knew hundreds of "Royals" who were heavily into the other kind of "Birding" too .. (me included) ... Wink Laughing

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Hi Terra ....

I do know of several former Royal Marines who were into Birding ... but not specifically sea birds .. thought you might find the following link of interest though ..

http://www.rnbws.org.uk/about.php

Of course .. I also knew hundreds of "Royals" who were heavily into the other kind of "Birding" too .. (me included) ... Wink Laughing

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

How did I guess you weren't devoted exclusively to the feathered birds ! Laughing
terratoonie

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Hair of the dogs Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
terratoonie wrote:

Not just any old mutt hair hey?

Nice one on the prizes. Coincidence that my sister entered her Miniature Dachshund in her first show this weekend, and won 3 classes Very Happy have you got a pic of your Welsh Terrier? you don't see many of them around!

I'll have a go this week at sending a photo of my Welsh Terrier. I hope technophobitis doesn't prevent me from doing so ! Shocked Smile

Congratulations to your sister on her dog show wins. Which type of coat is your sister's Miniature Dachshund ? Smooth coated wouldn't have much spare hair, but the long coated and wire coated Dachshunds could provide enough hair for quite a few cosy bird nests Smile

I also have a Shetland Sheepdog. His hair would possibly be even better for nesting material, but so far I've saved it all in the hope of having it spun. I'm thinking I might knit an egg cosy, but other woollen suggestions very welcome Laughing
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a long haired Dach but there isn't much of her, being a miniature, probably about enough hair for half a blue tit nest!

I've PM'd you.

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst sorting out my partner's shed in Gloucester last week, I came across two oblong, metal mesh "cake" type feeders ... & wondered whether I could press them into service as nesting material holders for next year ..

She has two Moggies (Grrrrr .. Evil or Very Mad ) .. one of which is a long-haired "Rag-Doll" breed (No .. I'd never heard of them before either) .. which sheds clumps of dense black fur everywhere Rolling Eyes

But I thought it would be a classic recipe for re-cycling .. to "donate" cat hair to the birds ... also a bit of "pay-back" for the havoc domestic cats wreak in the garden bird population .. Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: hair of the cats Reply with quote

Kev wrote:
Whilst sorting out my partner's shed in Gloucester last week, I came across two oblong, metal mesh "cake" type feeders ... & wondered whether I could press them into service as nesting material holders for next year ..

She has two Moggies (Grrrrr .. Evil or Very Mad ) .. one of which is a long-haired "Rag-Doll" breed (No .. I'd never heard of them before either) .. which sheds clumps of dense black fur everywhere Rolling Eyes

But I thought it would be a classic recipe for re-cycling .. to "donate" cat hair to the birds ... also a bit of "pay-back" for the havoc domestic cats wreak in the garden bird population .. Wink

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

Ragdoll cats have become more popular since the children's TV show Blue Peter acquired two of these: Socks and Cookie. This is a quite nice breed. Most of them are laid-back, and probably causing less chaos for the garden birds than some more predator types of cat. It would be great to try using the moggie hair for bird nests.

Please let us know if it works ! (with photos!) Definite pay-back! Twisted Evil

I've heard of folk putting feathers in the garden for birds to collect for their nests. I've been thinking of saving my budgie's moulted feathers for springtime to place in the garden. The feathers are clean and disease free and might be appreciated by the bluetits. Recycling is the name of the game these days, and nests lined with green and yellow feathers would look very stylish ! Smile

Keep delving in your partner's garden shed, Kev. You might find some more treasures which the wild birds would appreciate ! Laughing
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter has a lot to answer for - I got hooked on Siamese cats after seeing Jason - anyone remember him? Although I haven't got one at the moment.

My sister also has a Ragdoll and a Birman and apparently the birds go mad for the hair - perhaps 'cos it is so fine and silky.

Kev - I take it you don't share your partners feelings for the cats? Laughing my husband is the same - not a cat person! Rolling Eyes

Kev

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dawn & Terra ...

Thanks for the info re Rag-Dolls ... Its many, many years since either my partner or I watched Blue Peter ... (our respective children now all grown up) .. Wink

This cat is quite laid back .. whereas the other (a "normal" Tabby type) is rather feisty .. You're absolutely correct Dawn .. I don't share her passion for the cats .. but wouldn't actually harm any animal ... So I suppose it's a classic case of "Love me .. love my cats" ... Rolling Eyes

My partner's main hobby is counted Cross Stitch .. so I've asked her to save all the loose ends of thread to add to the nesting material collection too ... which should prove rather colourful .. Laughing

As for what may be lurking in the deeper, darker recesses of the shed, I shudder to think .. but I doubt I'll be appearing on the Antiques Roadshow anytime soon ... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Bye for now ..

Kev ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: