The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

DIY 2 camera NestCam with movable side camera
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorkNest

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
that bluetit needs an ASBO !

perhaps you can superglue the cover in place or make a wooden alternative

Yes, I've made up a wooden cover but it's very difficult to get at the camera, don't really want to take down the box and open the side comparment - it's fairly well glued on with sealant! I originally had a glass panel but the bird seemed too interested in it. maybe a smaller glass panel angled up to avoid reflections from the ground. we'll see first if he leave the camera alone now.

@ines- asbo - something to do with anti-social behaviour. Yes bird was fairly determined over a period of days. on the last day would come in and headed straight at it. Whether the flappy rubber annoyed it or it wanted to see behind, who knows what's going on in their little heads.

Ines

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karl,

thanx for the info. Yes, who knows what is up their mind Rolling Eyes When we lived in Kiel, their has been a Bluetit wich always (during spring) flew in our flat, when the window was open and teared off the wall paper above the window. But I guess the stuff was used for nesting. And it was not that rabid like "your Bluetit". I am curiously how the rubber-story will go on.

I am what I am: an individual, unique and different
(Sir Charles Spencer)
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ines wrote:
Good morning,
What does ASBO mean?

Ines
Anti-Social Behaviour Order

Is a civil order given to someone behaving anti-socially.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
CorkNest

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bird seems to be mainly leaving the side camera alone since he? removed the rubber cover so I haven't bothered to try and protect the camera as it was too difficult to get at.
However there were 4 protruding sharp pieces supporting the camera so I to opened the box last night and put heat shrink sleeving over them to prevent any injuries.

the camera lens had smudges on it following the intensive and successful attempt to remove the rubber cover so I gave that a clean as I was up the ladder.

Also stuck some small pieces of white translucent milk bottle plastic over the white LEDS, gives better light distribution now.

The blue tits are visiting the box but no nest building for now anyway. I've 'experimental' live photos refreshing every 30seconds on CorkCam.com. Runs mostly during the day. I'll increase the refresh rate if anything interesting happens. I'm using a mobile broadband usb modem. Camera 1: is box 1 with a roosting great tit. Cams 2/3 overhead and sideview cameras on blue tit box 2. Cam 4 feeders in the garden.

CorkNest

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ASBO bird" strikes again!
This time removing some heat shrinks sleeving I'd fitted over the support screws the night before. The picture shows the blue tit just about to leave with the piece of sleeving in it's beak:

Went at it vigorously for a while, shaking the camera, here's a video of it: WMV 2MB
or AVI 5MB. You can just see the sleeving being taken out at the very end of the video.

So tonight I fitted a piece of wood epoxied to the lens as Martin had suggested earlier. Hopefully that will do the trick:

Ines

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Karl,

lucky you, that the bluetit did not remove the cam copmpletely Wink
Seems like it has a strong will.

I am what I am: an individual, unique and different
(Sir Charles Spencer)
CorkNest

ireland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you might have seen in my other post the chicks fledged ok.
The nestbox worked out pretty ok although I couldn't move the side camera as much as I'd hoped. The reason for this is that it can only really be moved when no bird is inside.
The side camera was originally pointing at the entrance hole during inspections and nest building. Once the nest cup formed I pointed it down and to the right at the nest cup when there was no bird around - no problem. Then I decided to position it better once incubation had started, but the female was nearly always in the box so I tried it at night thinking that she won't see the movement in the dark. However she heard it and reacted immediately lunging in the dark and making a squawking noise - so I gave up and left the camera as it was.

A few days ago, when the chicks were about 16 days old the mother left them alone for the first time at night. So I went to point the camera back towards the entrance hole but had to give up as the chicks also heard something and had a similar reaction to the adult.

In never tried to move it during the day with a bird inside, I reckoned it would probably spook them if they saw something move in the nest.

The other thing was the colour balance of the side camera, strong outside daylight threw it so more inside lighting next time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: