The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winnersh birder

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Advice please Reply with quote

IN May, me and my wife are flying to Egypt for a 7 day trip down the Nile . It is not an organised birding holiday. so the chance to birdwatch will be when we stop and whilst the boat is moving. I will be taking my bins of course and two lenses and my camera but am debating about taking my scope.

I understand from reports that I have read that the boat travels at a jogging speed. There for there would be the problem of vibration. In , none of the reports that I have read, have the reviewers mentioned taking a scope or using one on board. I am reluctant to take my scope and tripod if they are not going to be used. I was wondering if anyone else had made the same trip and what advice they can offer me

I was wondering if anyone else has taken the same boat trip
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not take a scope.

Its not just any shake you will get from the boat - the scope is expensive and you would have to carry it everywhere! Not good when you are exploring tombs plus I would only take what I could carry easily and not make a show of expensive equipment. Egypt is a third world country and you will see obvious signs of poverty even as a tourist!
On the boat its fine but when you disembark for the culture you will see what I mean.

The birds you will see from the boat will be either on the banks of the river
or in the Nile or on the wires.Obviously in the air too! Bins ought to be sufficient.
Down one side of the Nile travels the electricity cable - thats the wires you will see Hoopoe sitting prettily on them!

This takes me back to my visit to Egypt - in the evening you may see the sun setting on one side of the boat and the moon on the other!

Hope you enjoy your trip- everyone ought to go at least once in their life!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
winnersh birder

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Corinna
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

Welcome winnersh birder!

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Ian Helliwell

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a chance, go on the Botanical garden boat trip at Aswan. This goes to the gardens, then potters round all the little islands. There should be plenty of opportunities to spot & photograph, as the boat goes quite slowly & stops if there is anything interesting. If you are feeling athletic, the best views are from the roof of the boat as this gets ride of ironwork obstructing the view & you can view both sides easily.

Hope this helps, Ian.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Feedback All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: