The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Attracting crows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munin

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Attracting crows Reply with quote

Hello,

I know it is probably a long shot, but I would like to try and attract crows to my garden. I have done a little research online and a large open lawn area with bushes off to the sides seems to be the recommended set up. This would be kinda hard to pull off in my garden as it is rather long and narrow. Sorry about the misty pic - it is the only shot I have...

Beyond my garden there is a road and then some man made woods. There are crows in the woods so I know they are about. Are there certain plants/bushes that I could buy to improve my chances?

Any other recommendations/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Munin

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question! I'm sure the bit about open spaces is right, as we have a lot of crows and rooks that congregate on the football pitches a few hundred yards away. I've never seen one come into my garden, though but that might be because I only put out food in hanging feeders, and crows aren't renowned for perching.

Anyone any ideas?? Usually when people have crows they want to get rid of them, like the one that lived near a relative's house when I was small. His name was Aubrey, and he took an absolute delight in perching on washing lines and removing the pegs holding up wet washing... and in seeing irate women in pinnies come rushing out of the house with a yard-brush, vainly prodding at empty air! Laughing

Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our crows and jackdaws (and gulls) arrive when there are apples and fat cake scattered on the lawn, if that helps?

Bread also attracts them but that isn't a good food source for birds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: