The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

House Martin Wecam and diary.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: House Martin Wecam and diary. Reply with quote

With the Spring webcams all but over now, I thought that I would let you that you can watch a pair of House Martins nesting at mybitoftheplanet during July and August. At least, they have built their nest and I'm hoping to see the first egg very soon. If all goes well for them any offspring will fledge in late August!

This will be a second brood for this pair - they turned up with fledglings last week, not having nested here. These were fed for a couple of days before the adults set about building a new nest.

There is no artificial lighting, so although the webcam is running 24/7, images will only be visible in UK daylight hours. As soon as I see that an egg has been laid I will be setting up a second webcam, so that one gives a composite to show an external view plus the interiors of all three Martin nests, with the second concentrating on the nest being used.

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for telling us about this - it's good to have a nestcam to watch again! Smile

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:
Thanks for telling us about this - it's good to have a nestcam to watch again! Smile

Hello Elizabeth. It's fortuitous that the Martins have turned up now, as we are unable to get away for a holiday until September, and I had begun to think that the Martins had deserted us this year. In fact, there were only a few in the area at all, and across the road from us a natural nest that has been used for years has remained empty. So it was a real surprise when a whole family turned up at the beginning of last week.

It's fascinating to watch the pair that have built the nest, the way they spend so much time together in the nest - something that doesn't happen with the other birds in the garden. As I write this they are side by side, as usual, with the male nearest the entrance, and they don't seem to want to leave too quickly in the mornings!

The only problem so far as been their tendency to attack the camera lens and leave it rather messy. I gave it a bit of a clean yesterday but I don't really want to do that again if it can be avoided, so it's very possible the image from nest 1 will deteriorate and become unuseable as time goes by. I'm already working on ways around the problem for next year, possibly using a fine wire mesh. While this will show up in the image, it should prevent the Martins from actually touching the lens, but will they respond by plastering it with mud??? - such are the challenges of webcams!

mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: House Martins update - the first egg Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy The House Martins produced their first egg this morning. Very Happy Very Happy
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: House Martins update - the first egg Reply with quote

mybitoftheplanet wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy The House Martins produced their first egg this morning. Very Happy Very Happy

How exciting - congratulations! I immediately looked in my reference book about eggs etc, and it says - usually 4-5, sometimes 2-6. Actually I reached up to the shelf above my computer to get this book, as I thought the egg looked quite pointed at one end, but it gets the usual description "subelliptical" - I haven't yet noticed any egg described otherwise. Rolling Eyes

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now 4 eggs in the nest! Very Happy

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:

So far, so good for the Martins - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will ease up by the time the eggs hatch so that they will be able to find enough food for their offspring.

They have managed to keep the camera lens clean since their earlier attacks on it. Hopefully it will stay that way for a while as the chicks hatch out and start growing, although I fear that it may eventual succumb to their attentions!

Kit

england.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying looking in too there's less nesting material inside the net than I'd exppected, but of course the shape of the nest cavity means that only a lining is really needed. Fingers crossed for them (and the rest of us!) that the weather improves at some point soon.
mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit wrote:
I've been enjoying looking in too there's less nesting material inside the net than I'd exppected, but of course the shape of the nest cavity means that only a lining is really needed. Fingers crossed for them (and the rest of us!) that the weather improves at some point soon.

Hello Kit,

It looks as though you may now have two families to follow. While incubation continues in nest 1, the bird that has been roosting in nest 3 seems to have gained a partner. I have seen them mating this morning and it looks promising for another clutch of eggs to appear soon.

Mind you, they must be about two weeks behind nest 1, so their nesting would go on well into September, when I hope to get away from my holiday and will have to shut doen one of the webcams as I will be taking my laptop away with me!

mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: House Martins - Hatching is under way Reply with quote

Strixaluco wrote:

The first two eggs hatched this morning before 8.30am - We've had only glimpses of the chicks so far as the resident parent continues to incubate the remaining eggs (written at 9.50am)

mybitoftheplanet

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: House Martin nesting - a sad end Reply with quote

First of all, I apologise for not keeping the updates more up to date.

The Martins had four chicks which seemed to be doing well for the first few weeks. However, over the last few days, with the weather getting colder, overcast and damp for much of the time, the frequency of feeds diminished. Yesterday I recorded no parental visits in over 8 hours of recording, and the chicks spent the entire day huddled at the back of the nest.

This morning they are all dead - the only sign of movement in the nest being that of the parasites that are losing their food supply.

A sad end, but not surprising during this very disappointing summer. I can only hope that the other Martin families on the area are not suffering the same fate. Numbers were down this year - my fingers are firmly crossed for 2008.

David Jones,
My Bit of the Planet

Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very sad news David, but as you say, it's been so cold and damp for the last few days that it's not really surprising that the parents couldn't find food for them. Have they been back to the nest at all? I do hope that this has not been happening all over the UK - have you had time to contact the RSPB or the BTO to ask about this?

In BBB, both bluetit parents returned on quite a few occasions after the chicks died, and Abby even brought in a mealworm once. At least we have the comfort of knowing that other bluetits have successfully reared families in our area - we've seen a lot of juveniles in the garden since our two boxes failed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Webcams All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: