The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Hostas and bloody snails/slugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarah

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Hostas and bloody snails/slugs Reply with quote

Can anyone PLEASE give me some ideas as to protect my three lovely big hostas?

They are being savaged by snails & slugs, I have smeared thick vaserline around the pots, put crushed shell around, covered the snails and slugs in salt, put copper round the lip of the pot and the blitters still make my hostas look like fishnet stockings.
Before Martin & I start our bog garden we would really appreciate some advice as we would love to plant a couple more hostas but if they are going to be eaten to shreds we will have to think of something else to put in their place. I feel a Gunnera is a tad to big for our garden Wink

I really hope you can help

Sarah
Emma

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You big meanie, pouring salt on them Shocked At least set a beer trap so they die happy Wink

Send them to me, I've got some hostas they can have - I'm not too keen on them Laughing
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah

Last year I tried some copper self-adhesive tape which I applied near the top of a terracotta pot. This proved very successful. Apparently slugs/snails don't like the effect of this, on them, so won't cross it.

I found it in a garden centre and when I locate it (somewhere in the greenhouse!) tomorrow, I'll post what it's called.

I've also just purchased some tape to which you have a battery attached to provide it small electric shock which deters slugs and snails but doesn't harm them. The batteriycan be an old one which no longer has enough power for its original intended use - so I'm told. So, you're recycling the battery at the same time. I've not tried this yet so can't comment on its effectiveness. However, it needs to be applied to glazed pots, as some terracotta imports contain salt which can corrode the tape.

I bought this as a "gardening weekend" at Losely Park but the suppliers have a web site. The site gives the history of how the idea for the tape originated and it was the wife of the inventor who was manning the stand where I made my purchase.

www.snailaway.com

Hope this helps and good luck - I know how it feels. The snails are currently hiding behind my trellis and munching their way through my clematis!!!

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Silver Sparrow

Location: The part of London with the smallest number of birds

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing u can try are milk traps (but emptying them out is enough to make you gag - ugh ugh). or what about salty vaseline around the pots or whatnot? alternatively try the non-harmful slug pellets. growing succes has them. not strictly organic, but they are safe for wildlife. Theres a list on the left of this page: http://www.rspb.org.uk/gardens/advice/slugcontrol/index.asp

Location: The part of London with the smallest number of birds

england.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got some Organic Slug pellets from growing success. As I think i mentioned in another thread, im not 100% sure theyre working, but if youre interested you can see details here: http://www.growingsuccess.org.uk/range.asp?cat=Slug_and_Snail_Control
And click on advanced slug killer.

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surround our Hostas with a good layer of sharp grit which seems to work fairly well.
Nina

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read somewhere that there are some hostas that deter slugs and snails, but I can't remember who it was going on about it, but I do believe it was in one of the Prince of Wales gardens, (Highgrove?) they had some that were completely shredded by the slimey devils but alongside them were several beautiful uneaten ones! It might be good to write to Gardeners Question time or Gardeners world magazine, as it was on one of their programmes I did see it! Sorry I can't do any better than that, but I hope it will lead you to the right place!

I hope this will help:- [url] www.gardenersworld.com [/url]
[/url]

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my hostas and bought a cheap spray gun from the pound shop, put some sea salt crystals in it and disolved them in water. I then sprayed the pots and it has worked for me, although it will need respraying if it rains. I always put a thin layer of table salt on the paving slabs, this works great.
Dawn

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could rent my kids out, they collect snails as pets Rolling Eyes

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Strixaluco

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn wrote:
I could rent my kids out, they collect snails as pets Rolling Eyes

What do they do with them - and what about the slugs? Laughing

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your ideas and advice most grateful. on the subject of Snail eating my hostas. Martin is trying vaseline, a large dose of salt and then mixed with lime juice into a thick paste which he is brushing around the rim of my pots.

I like Dawns idea, her kids are welcome to over and collect them Laughing also I was watching great british chef on the telly the other night and apparently which I never new being a chef that actually the french actually use the common garden snails so one of the chefs said.

oooh I love snails I think I might makesome lovely garlic and herb butter and eat them Thumbs up Snail of course I shall wash them first Smile not very nice with dirt and sand in, mind you I did have some once in a restaurant in London and they were still gritty put me off for a while Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Garden Habitat All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: