The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Displaying BBF Album Pictures in forum posts using BBCode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Administrator
Site Admin

england.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Displaying BBF Album Pictures in forum posts using BBCode Reply with quote

As previously announced, it is now possible to display pictures and thumbnails of pictures from the album in your posts in the main forum.

The aim of this is not to replace the attachment functionality but to compliment it. If you have a picture that you want to display with a post as a one off then continue to use the Add an Attachment button. However, if you would like to load a picture into the album for general viewing and also reference this in the main forum you can now do this. Pictures can be displayed from personal galleries or from any of the categories within the album.

The way to do this is to to use BBCode which is what you may have been using previously to make your text bold or to link to offsite images for example. These can be accessed using the buttons under a post Subject when adding a post or can simply be typed in by hand. You may have noticed 2 new buttons entitled Thumb amd Album tp correspond to the two new BBCode tags.

This is probably best explained using examples. Here I will use some BBCode to display a picture from the album. The literal text I will enter in this post is:

Code:
[thumb]1153[/thumb]

and it looks like this:

View across Loch Coruisk to Bla Bheinn from Sgurr nan Eag
Poster: gasteropod, viewed 93 Time(s)

If you wanted to display a larger picture rather than just a thumbnail you would use the album BBCode rather than the thumb BBCode, i.e.

Code:
[album]1153[/album]

which will give you the same image but larger:

Poster: gasteropod, viewed 93 Time(s)

The number between the two tags is the id of the picture in the album. This is now displayed in the album when you view a picture below the description. In fact I have included two text boxes with the BBCode required to display the picture which you can simply cut and paste into a post. As soon as you place your cursor in this window the text should be highlighted ready to cut.

It is also possible to see the id of a picture just by moving your mouse over a thumbnail by looking at the link the browser displays at the bottom of the browser window. If you look at the URL shown by the browser it will look something like http://forum.biggonline.co.uk/album_showpage.php?pic_id=1153 and here we see that the picture id is 1153 and this is the picture which you can see above.

So, if you want to display a picture already loaded into the album just take the BBCode shown when the picture is displayed and drop it into your post. Each picture or thumbnail will be displayed on a separate line directly below the text before the BBCode and before the text after the BBCode. i.e. it will be displayed exactly where you include the BBCode.

It's probably best to put the BBCode on a line on its own without any blank lines between you text and the BBCode. In reality this will display the picture with a 1 line gap between the text and the picture. If you do not want a gap include the BBCode within the text or if you want to leave a bigger gap simply add more blank lines. Let me show you by way of an example. Here is some text which you may include in a post:

Code:
Here is a picture I took last November on a trip in Snowdonia walking the Carnedds.
[thumb]1151[/thumb]
and here is another taken the following day when we walked up the Devils Kitchen and up to Y Garn
[thumb]1152[/thumb]
We had a real mixture of weather with strong winds and horizontal snow but then it would clear and the sun would come out. It was bitterly cold and my platypus drinking tube kept freezing! The pictures do not really reflect this since I only got the camera out when conditions permitted this!

Here is how this is displayed:

Quote:
Here is a picture I took last November on a trip in Snowdonia walking the Carnedds.

View towards Foel Grach from Carnedd Llewelyn
View towards Foel Grach from Carnedd Llewelyn
Poster: gasteropod, viewed 75 Time(s)

and here is another taken the following day when we walked up the Devils Kitchen and up to Y Garn

Y Garn
Y Garn
Poster: gasteropod, viewed 69 Time(s)

We had a real mixture of weather with strong winds and horizontal snow but then it would clear and the sun would come out. It was bitterly cold and my platypus drinking tube kept freezing! The pictures do not really reflect this since I only got the camera out when conditions permitted this!

If you are unsure how things will look then simply use the Preview button to preview your post making any adjustments to the spacing before you finally submit. You can always edit your post afterwards if you forget this step and something does not look right. I used preview several times when typing up this post!

There is no need to upload your pictures into the album before you start your post. There is a new section below the text entry box entitled Album Attachment Control Panel which contains 2 new buttons which you can use while you are entering your post. The two buttons are Add Picture and show thumbnail and Add Picture and show inline. They pretty much do the same thing in that they open up a popup window which allows you to upload one or more pictures into the album but using these automatically adds the relevant BBCode for a thumbnail or inline picture into your post without you having to determine the picture id yourself.

If you use these buttons to upload your pictures during posting they will by default load into your personal gallery. If you wish to include them in one of the other categories simply select the appropriate gallery from the dropdown list before clicking submit.

Once you have finished uploading your pictures you can close the window and you should then see the thumb or album BBCode has been automatically added into your post. All you might need to do is to adjust the spacing of this to format your post. There is no limit to the number of thumbnails or pictures you can embed into your posts this way. This should allow you to include pictures in an account of a birding outing right next to your text which describes the picture.

The only other point I think worth mentioning is that when you upload a picture you enter a title and a description but it is the title which is displayed beneath the picture within your posts. If you have entered some description to go with it this will only be visible from within the album itself.

I have seen a few people using this already so I hope this is not too hard to understand. If you do have any problems or questions with regards to any of this then either post here or feel free to drop me a PM.

John aka gasteropod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> FAQ and Announcements All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: