The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Jargon buster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hindpool

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Jargon buster Reply with quote

I have been a bird watcher since my early teens, a good while back, but am frequently puzzled by the jargon used by many posters on this and other forums.

Would it be worthwhile posting a Sticky (is that the term?) aimed at helping newcomers and old-fashioned guys alike to decipher current birder jargon?

I can guess at some of the following but only guess, definitive elucidation would be most welcome:

Dipped
Fly-thru
LBJ (yes, I know that but others may not)
Lifelist
Lifer
Splitter tick
Stayer
Tick
Yearlist
Year tick

No doubt there are more!

Any offers?

Hindpool
pauco

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jargon buster Reply with quote

Hindpool wrote:
I have been a bird watcher since my early teens, a good while back, but am frequently puzzled by the jargon used by many posters on this and other forums.

Would it be worthwhile posting a Sticky (is that the term?) aimed at helping newcomers and old-fashioned guys alike to decipher current birder jargon?

I can guess at some of the following but only guess, definitive elucidation would be most welcome:

Dipped
Fly-thru
LBJ (yes, I know that but others may not)
Lifelist
Lifer
Splitter tick
Stayer
Tick
Yearlist
Year tick

No doubt there are more!

Any offers?

Hindpool

Dipped missed the bird.

Fly-thru not seen in detail. Because it was in flight.

LBJ Little-brown-job.

Life list list of birds you have only seen once & may not see again

Lifer. A bird seen by you once in your life.

Year list. A list of birds for the year.

Year tick The best bird of the year for you.

Tick Abird you may have missed and see again.

Paul
Mick

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be awkward but as I understand it a life list is a record of all the birds you have ever seen and a lifer is a bird seen for the first time and therefore to be added to your life list, that's how I use them anyway.

Mick
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mick.
also
Year tick - a new bird for the year (might well be the best...but not generally)

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Tricia

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mick and Corinna - not that I'm an expert but that is what I've generally interpreted the words to mean.

http://belfiebird.blogspot.com/
Hindpool

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the code-breaking. All jargon-busting contributions were most gratefully received.

I am retired now but spent much of my career far from the UK and whenever possible I took an interest in the local birdlife. Do my sightings go on the Lifer list?

Also, I spend a lot of time in France. My wife and I have owned property in Dordogne and Paris for the past 25 years. Do the hoopoes, golden orioles, black kites etc go on my Lifer list too?

Or are these Lifer lists divided into e.g Native Species; European-non Native; African; Asian; N American etc ?

Is there some sort of regulatory system or protocol for maintaining Lists? If so who makes the rules? BTO perhaps or some international organisation like BirdLife International?

Without rules of some kind one person's List could be inflated to boastable proportions in the circles where Birders congregate and that would never do!

Has anyone read "To See Every Bird on Earth"?*

Did it frighten you?

Hindpool

* To See Every Bird on Earth, Dan Koeppel, published by Michael Joseph
ISBN 0-718-14760-X
Snowy

england.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of any kind is what you want it to be I have a life list which contains birds from all the countries I have visited the only constraint I put on my life list is on captive or zoo birds, for any list you set the bounderies take & garden list do you only put on your list birds that land on your table, come in to your garden, are the other side of your fence/boundery & what about fly bys, it is up to you what you record you only need to please one person of what you have seen where & when nothing else matters thats my theory anyway hope this is some help let me know that you think ?

Regards Snowy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: