The Bigg Bird Forum Index The Bigg Bird Forum
The Family Friendly Birding Site

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Elizabeth and Malcolm's Bluetit Pages
The Bigg Bird Forum Index

Animal nightlife
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Animal nightlife Reply with quote

Early spring, when landscape's still snowcovered with -10 - -20 C, Finnish birders cruise in the night listening owls. I did one such trip yesterday with kid. Starting just before sunset, as many owls are most active then. We drove on a ten kilometres radius, making stops every two kilometres (to not mix separate individuals. Usually owls can be heard one kilometer away, sometimes five). We did not use record players or whistles to attract the owls. At dusk we heard a Strix uralensis (ural owl) at close range Smile Half an hour later we were in another location listening a Glaucidium passerinum (pygmy owl), who whistled one hundred metres away of us Smile Unfortunately two unleashed Canis familiaris (dogs) started to approach us from a nearby farm house Evil or Very Mad -The second most dangerous animals in Finland (after road-passing-elk) Exclamation We heard that pygmy owl 1,5 kilometres away (especially on pygmy's voice it remarkably enhances the voice if you put your hands behind ears as "extra ears"). Then we passed again that ural owl place on our circular route - and saw it sitting on a pole in car lights. It took off and flew right ahead of us. Besides these, we saw on Felis catus (cat, passing the road. Unfortunately I missed it with my car Twisted Evil ) and Lepus europaeus (hare). This year seems to be a good one with owls in Southern Finland - here seems to be good amount of Arvicolidae (voles), too. Four years old daughter was happy with the trip, even though none of the birds were lifers to her Smile

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Karri, I'm sure she loved the trip ( I think I would have too Mr. Green )

Ural Owl and Pygmy at 4 yrs old Shocked Shocked

I can confirm - Bitterns DO exist, and they are brilliant!!!!
Corinna

england.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ural Owl...love it!!!

Dipped on Pygmy......

Owls in Finland....

I'm thinking 2007 trip to Finland......
must see......

Cool

Eagles Rule!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight on another route:
Aegolius funereus 3
Strix uralensis 2
Bubo bubo 1
Canis familiaris 20 At wits end I don't like cats, and I think dogs should be banned, too Exclamation (Trying to enjoy an eagle owl when a nearby dog is barking like an idiot). What are dogs good here Question
-In rural areas wolves tend to eat them.
-They keep their owners awake all night long as they are barking on the yard.
-Why are they barking Question Because they are afraid of dark Exclamation Here's no wolves around in my corners, only hemmetin spooky were-hares...
-Besides, big dogs running around the forests threaten human beings in there.

Once dogs were safeguards in north woods. Now they are a nuisance Evil or Very Mad

Luckily the mood was saved by car radio program that played in between the owl spots. Jori Hulkkonen - a guy who recorded last year with John Foxx - playing his favourites Applause Owls hooting +tekno musik - a recipe for brilliant nite Cool

finland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought that owl season is over (only 50 % snow coverage) - right now right here Strix aluco & uralensis & Aegolius funereus heard in our yard Dancing

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave the night for the owls. I am at home reading a book or cruising the internet.
Darren

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Animal nightlife Reply with quote

Hiya K

Interesting stuff. Its been a poor year for Asio flammeus here so I wonder what has caused the good numbers of voles in Finland?

ATB

D

Karwin wrote:
This year seems to be a good one with owls in Southern Finland - here seems to be good amount of Arvicolidae (voles), too.
[/i]
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before greenhouse age begun in Finland (in 1987, according to Independent Reasearch Institute) four-year vole cycles occurred here. Late 80's & almost all the 90's voles had no peaks in S Finland due to the lack of sheltering snow cover. In the 00's we've had snowy winters - and the current vole peak started already two years ago, and they still show abundant around here. Last year the officials predicted that there will possibly be an outbreak of nephropathia epidemica ("vole fever") in autumn, and here was. Already one year ago the abundance of voles was also observed as abundance of owls & foxes around here, and this year here should be even more of these predators, who should put the vole stocks down, plus that also vole viruses should increase when here's plenty of critters around. Why has this vole peak been going on for so long Question Well, it's also been noted that Sarcoptes scabiei var. vulpis (fox mite, that is fatal for canines) has been abundant here for some years. (Bird flu is fatal for birds, but it is highly unlikely that it would affect owls, as they live in forests and seldom are intact with waterfowl).

finland.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three nights ago we had +2,7 C here. Three nights ago, too, I obseved here:
pair of Strix aluco (tawny owls)
2 Asio flammeus (SEO), different sites, one of them young
1 unidentified Asio, who passed me from three metres in the night
7 Cuculus canorus (cuckoos)
4 pairs of Cygnus cygnus (whooper swans)
4 Luscinia luscinia (sprossers)
1 Acrocephalus palustris (marsh warbler)
2 A. dumetorum (blyth's reed warblers)
1 Botaurus stellaris (bittern)
4 Scolopax rusticola (woodcocks)
several Tetrao tetrix (black grouses)
2 Crex crex (corncrakes)
1 Coturnix coturnix (quail)

Last week on same route in Hauho (Empty-Finland) also following ones:
Caprimulgus europaeus (nightjar)
Locustella naevia (grasshopper warbler)

Monday in neighbouring town: 2 L. fluviatilis (river warblers).

finland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's abundants:
Caprimulgus europaeus
Porzana porzana
Rallus aquaticus

Also starring:
Coturnix coturnix
Locustella fluviatilis & naevia

Somewhat missing:
Botaurus stellaris
Owls (Aegolius funereus, Strix aluco & uralensis) still hooting (they usually stop in April) Exclamation

Last night I was binocularing a Falco subbuteo, who was catching insects above my house. Strange falcon - it is often seen preying nighttime here.

Below some midnight photos Cool

yölintu Kuuminainen.jpg
Nightbird
131.8 KB, Viewed 685 Time(s)

Tuulos Kopsjoki 3.jpg
Midnight at Kopsjoki
190.22 KB, Viewed 705 Time(s)

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karwin, your posts are doing wonders for my latin, but I had to look up Aegolius funereus. Tengmalm's, yes? And eagle owls, that must be an incredible sight to see one in the wild. I've only seen them at falconry displays Sad

I'd green with envy over the birds you post. My partner and I have plans to go birding in Finland in the next couple of years, but it's a long time to wait.

My nights are noisy with nothing but homo sapiens, sadly.
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drachenfach wrote:
Tengmalm's, yes?
Correct.
Drachenfach wrote:
And eagle owls, that must be an incredible sight to see one in the wild
Yes it is, even though very rare to see any owl - we mostly hear them (last nite heard two young tawny owls and saw one eared owl. As formy use of scientific names: I remember them, but not so much English ones).

A new phenomenon are our city eagle owls, few pairs ow them breed even in the center of Helsinki.
Drachenfach wrote:
I'd green with envy over the birds you post.
Never mind - I am colourblind Cool On the other hand I've never seen a house sparrow (was that the English name for Passer domesticus? I don't remember any more - not at this point of midsummer eve Laughing ), and don't mention Tyto alba
Drachenfach wrote:
My partner and I have plans to go birding in Finland
Tervetuloa Smile

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiitos Razz
Karwin

finland.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karwin wrote:
right now right here Strix aluco & uralensis & Aegolius funereus heard in our yard Dancing
These very same species heard again to our outdoor. An utterlyverybrilliant owl year now Exclamation Just few nights ago I heard one tawny, two urals and a pair of long-ears in one spot. The most common owl in my corners is ural owl. This week we heard one twenty metres away, and when I started to mock, it flew almost over us. Owl list 2008:
Aegolius funereus
Asio flammeus
A. otus
Bubo bubo
Strix aluco
S. uralensis.

Botaurus stellaris
returned here last night.

finland.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two nights ago I found an interesting place some kilometres away from home. I have been counting local nightjars for 29 years and always observed them having separate territories. Now I found a place where at least six individuals were having a group display. Males kept singing about 50 metres from each other. They often flew over each others spots and there was no fighting whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bigg Bird Forum Index -> Birding Outings All times are GMT adjusted for DST
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: